Answered

Using SONOS Port

• 15 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Considering Port, but need to better understand connection to AVR.  I believe I need AVR with Trigger input, not output, correct?  That seems to be hard to find, most AVR have Trigger Out.  Does the trigger from Port to AVR simply turn on the AVR?  Or will it also select the correct input on the AVR to play music?  For example, if the AVR was last used with an HDMI input for TV, do I need to manually change the AVR input from HDMI over to the input Port is connected to?  Also, how does the volume pass-through work?  Can I really control the volume of the AVR from the Sonos app when streaming music from Port to the AVR?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 November 2023, 11:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mike in MN 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I believe I need AVR with Trigger input, not output, correct?

Yes, that’s correct.

Does the trigger from Port to AVR simply turn on the AVR?  Or will it also select the correct input on the AVR to play music? For example, if the AVR was last used with an HDMI input for TV, do I need to manually change the AVR input from HDMI over to the input Port is connected to?

That would depend on the AVR. The port will simply apply 12 volts to the wire - if the AVR has multiple 12v trigger inputs (one for each input) then yes, it could switch input accordingly. I don’t know if any AVRs actually come like that or not though. Another possibility might be automatic sensing of activity on a particular input.

Also, how does the volume pass-through work?  Can I really control the volume of the AVR from the Sonos app when streaming music from Port to the AVR?

Yes, but only if the AVR is classed as “Works with Sonos”. As to the technicalities of how it works, I’m not entirely sure - there isn’t much documentation on it for me to reference.

I hope this helps.