Answered

using my external cambridge DAC with the port

• 3 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I had been using my older ZP80 with my cambridge dacmagic200 DAC and everything was great. I loved the sound. This configuration worked on S1.  I recently added a pair of sonos 5 speakers which sound great but work off of S2, so I have been forced to use S1 for one thing and S2 for another and it is not convenient anymore and I have been having issues with the S1 set up.

So I decided to get the port to replace my ZP80 and run everything off of S2. I have it working, but dont like the sound as much as what I had before. I know the port has a nice DAC built in but I prefer to use my cambridge DAC, but I cant seem  to get it configured to work right. Before i used through the Toslink connection and all was well. I have tried using the port with the composite connection to the cambridge, but the cambridge does not seem to be taking over. I want to just try bypassing the DAC in the port and using my cambridge since I already own it and prefer the sound, if this is possible. If not I may send back the port.

Moderator edit: changed SP1 to S1 and SP2 to S2

icon

Best answer by stickersteve 3 January 2024, 20:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I have tried using the port with the composite connection to the cambridge, but the cambridge does not seem to be taking over.

“Composite connection”? That sounds like an odd reference to video.

You’d just need to wire the Port’s digital coax out to one of the DACmagic’s S/PDIF coax inputs. You’d be best advised to set the Port output volume to Fixed. If that’s not workable then keep the Port volume below ~80% to avoid a limiter kicking in which protects the output from clipping. 

Userlevel 2

Actually I figured it out on my own and I think it sounds way better going through the external DAC than the DAC in the port itself. I am happy now.