Skip to main content

I currently own a Sonos Amp Gen 2 and the Sonos by Sonance speaker pair (OUTDRWW1).

I’m now going to be installing a new cedar ceiling on my outdoor porch and thought it is a good time to see if an upgrade is in order.

I see there are these new MAG Sonance speakers:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonance-mago6sysv3-mag-series-2-0-ch-outdoor-speaker-system-powered-by-sonos-each-paintable-white/6438662.p?skuId=6438662

As well as these in-ceiling speakers by Sonance:

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/shop/ceiling-speaker-pair?gclid=CjwKCAjwitShBhA6EiwAq3RqA-5GNADYZzhh45rIOWrWBUWnxwbJdAQ-F67qLYPP4ngIcDSvyJLNOxoC1-oQAvD_BwE&utm_medium=cpc&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&utm_content=GGL_CA_EN_SONOS_B_PLA_SHOPPING_SMART-ALL_360i&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=GGL_CA_EN_SONOS_B_PLA_SHOPPING_SMART-ALL_360i

I’m even open to installing four of the in-ceiling ones spread over the porch ceiling instead of just two.

Would that provide a further sonic improvement?

I think I read that these above would allow for Truplay tuning to be done, whereas my current OUTDRWW1 Sonance speakers do not?

Would either of these solutions provide an improvement over just mounting my speakers in the upper corners of my covered porch?

Hi 

The  Sonos in ceiling speakers by Sonance are the only ones that will allow Trueplay tuning vs the MAG by Sonance. However the Sonos in-ceiling speakers by Sonance are not intended for outdoor use. Likewise TurePlay tuning for any Sonos speaker is only effective indoors.

The following Sonos outdoor speakers by Sonance are intended for outdoor use (link). They may also afford better mounting angles given the adjustable mounting bar. They too are not compatible with TruePlay; but will auto- optimize when connected to a Sonos Amp (Click here and scroll down for FAQ’s). FYI, you can install 3 pairs or 6 total speakers.

Didn’t realize the in-ceilng weren’t meant for outdoors nor that I can’t run Truplay on the newer outdoor ones.

How are these newer outdoor speakers different than the OUTDRWW1?

Can you explain how do they auto-optimize exactly?  Does the Amp know it’s those specific speakers?

I’m thinking it may just be best if I wire in the OUTDRWW1 ones I have now since no Truplay?  They also seem to go down an extra 10hz lower than the newer ones?

All of your questions are answered in the FAQ’s in the link I provided. Your answer as to how they are better is a matter of personal of preference. The sound can only be determined by you as the listener unless you trust the frequency specs in the FAQ’s. As far as how the speakers optimize when connected to a Sonos Amp I have no info on that process just what’s in the FAQ’s.