Answered

Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think Sonos has enough clout to contact Spotify and ask what’s up?

How do you know they didn’t?

How do you know they did?  Because it isn’t fixed.

Another Orbi/Sonos usere here… I am experiencing the same problem - when I try to play a song using Spotify Premium via a mobile app or Desktop app I get an error ("Unable to play song-name - the connection to Spotify was lost").

My setup and symptoms are very similar to what other folks are reporting here: 

• Orbi Mesh in use
  • Cisco DPC3825 
  • Orbi RBR50, V2.3.5.30
  • Sonos/Spotify combo worked flawlessly since 2015 until about 2 weeks ago (Early May 2020)
  • Tried dozens of fixes: rebooting, removing accounts, updating, trying different accounts
  • No VPN in use
  • No other networking devices in use
  • Orbi: Parental Control, Access Controls and Pausing is set correctly
  • One in 30 attempts to play a Spotify song will work, the issue returns then
  • Spotify app works fine - Spotify works fine on Google Nest, Google Home and Echo devices
  • All other music services work fine on Sonos (e.g., Amazon Music, Google Play, Pandora, etc.)
  • Given a major runaround by Sonos support
  • I have a 5, two 3s and four 1s in my home config
  • My controlers are: iPhone, iPad, two PCs and two Mac devices
  • This is a side note but I have to squeeze it here - I’ve spent over $10K on Sonos gear over years (home and business) and I was an evangelist - loved the co and the product with all my heart. I pursuaded numerous folks into buying Sonos - I loved it and wanted to share the experience…. Today, I am frustrated and this fanboy is turing into a disgruntled user...

Badge

I’ve been having the same issue for weeks, since the last Sonos Update probably. Is there anyway I cal install an old Sonos version to check against?

I’ve a Draytek router, 4 x Linksys Velops, 2 x Sonos One, 2 x Sonos Play 5 and when playing from the Sonos App from my PC to my Sonos Play 5 it will play some but before you know it will come up with “Unable to play ‘xxx’ - the connection to Spotify was lost.”. I’ve rebooted router, changed wifi channel, rescanned wifi channels on Velops, everything is on the latest firmwares and its just a real PITA.

Even when you ask Alexa to play lets say Coldplay on the Sonos One she replies with “Playing Coldplay from Spotify” and I now applaude if it actually plays because more often than not it just goes silent! Yet ask Alexa to play Coldplay on Amazon Music and perfect, every time.

Come on Sonos, fix this issue please, I want my Spotify working again!!!

Colin.

This is clearly a Sonos issue, as it began after the latest update. Spotify plays fine on every other device in my home. The Sonos app shows all my Spotify data (playlists, liked songs, followed artists, suggested playlists, new releases, etc…) and will occasionally play a few song before losing the connection, both wired AND wifi I’m now finding.

I’m betting that it’s an issue with the handling of Spotify’s preferred amount of cache or some type of keep-alive interval problem.

We could easily troubleshoot this by being allowed to retrograde to the last rev but no, they claim they “...don’t have the ability to do that.”

How do you know they didn’t?

Userlevel 1
Badge

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

One would think that Sonos would take some issue with this resolve considering all the people that have problems with this. I for one am not going to spend hours on the phone with some tech that knows nothing about resolving this issue, as I’m not getting paid to do so.  Fix it.

“Phone team” link takes you to the same 800 number everybody else gets. I’m about to try the HQ number (Santa Barbara, 805-965-3001) to see if I can get anywhere.

I’ve been having the same Spotify issue since the last update. Hours on the phone with tech support have finally gotten my case “escalated” to an engineer. They blamed my router, they blamed my modem, they blamed my wifi channel...everything they could to distance themselves from culpability. Bare in mind, all my other devices play Spotify fine on the same network and all my other streaming choices work fine on Sonos.

So yes, EVERYBODY should call in and generate a trouble ticket. Hopefully it will force them to act, if nothing else allow us to retrograde their stupid update.

Sounds about like what I expected to get from phone support...which is why I hesitate to even call.  I’m a network engineer by trade so blaming the network gets frustrating lol.  But I’ll call in as well so it’ll help the greater good.

Same, every other service works fine except Spotify.

So is the solution to drop Spotify or drop Sonos?

Getting rid of Sonos is obviously an expensive exercise because we’ve all sunk money into Sonos devices.

Will I upgrade to the new Sonos Arc now with this still unresolved? No way!!

Maybe if I write a sentence about how Spotify doesn’t work on Sonos and that Spotify definitely won’t work on the new Sonos Arc then this page will rank in Google for Sonos Arc and we might get this fixed.

“Phone team” link takes you to the same 800 number everybody else gets. I’m about to try the HQ number (Santa Barbara, 805-965-3001) to see if I can get anywhere.

I’ve been having the same Spotify issue since the last update. Hours on the phone with tech support have finally gotten my case “escalated” to an engineer. They blamed my router, they blamed my modem, they blamed my wifi channel...everything they could to distance themselves from culpability. Bare in mind, all my other devices play Spotify fine on the same network and all my other streaming choices work fine on Sonos.

So yes, EVERYBODY should call in and generate a trouble ticket. Hopefully it will force them to act, if nothing else allow us to retrograde their stupid update.

Sounds about like what I expected to get from phone support...which is why I hesitate to even call.  I’m a network engineer by trade so blaming the network gets frustrating lol.  But I’ll call in as well so it’ll help the greater good.

I think if you click on the link in his post, called ‘phone team’, you’ll be taken to where the phone number for your region is listed. 

Thanks...totally missed the link.

I think if you click on the link in his post, called ‘phone team’, you’ll be taken to where the phone number for your region is listed. 

So we should all call in and file separate cases for this issue?  Anything else we should know before calling?  What’s the phone number?

thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi folks,

This is frustrating and understand that. At this point, I would like to move your cases over to our phone team , we can do more advanced troubleshooting with you in live time at your earliest convenience.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still having this issue.  Spotify is useless with Sonos.

I have the same issue but it’s not new, has been happening for nearly six months now. So frustrating!

Apple music works fine, Sonos radio works fine, Tunein works fine...only Spotify has this problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem here. Started happening a month or two ago after years of working fine. Also on an Orbi mesh wifi network, but nothing has changed about our setup in a long time. Songs will fail to play 9/10 times, and occasionally work. Works fine when on a wired connection, but that is not an option for the room where we have our Sonos device. We have tried all the normal power off/on of Sonos and router, changing wifi channels, etc. Music from other services will play fine -- it's just Spotify over WiFi that is broken. Super weird and frustrating.

That is the odd thing about this!  Makes you wonder if it’s an ORBI/Spotify issue.  Everything worked perfectly until about a week to 2 weeks ago.  I know I haven’t updated ORBI and it’s on the most current firmware which leads me to believe Spotify screwed something up on one of their current updates.  Also wonder if this is only happening with ORBI specific owners.

Same problem here. Started happening a month or two ago after years of working fine. Also on an Orbi mesh wifi network, but nothing has changed about our setup in a long time. Songs will fail to play 9/10 times, and occasionally work. Works fine when on a wired connection, but that is not an option for the room where we have our Sonos device. We have tried all the normal power off/on of Sonos and router, changing wifi channels, etc. Music from other services will play fine -- it's just Spotify over WiFi that is broken. Super weird and frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @dkellerd

Sorry, I did not noticed your post. But please let me know what happens after trying these steps I have provided previously. 

I know that’s not directed towards me, but I am using the Sonos app...will try that later.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

No problem at all. I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues when you’re trying to initiate playback from Spotify. Can you tell me, are you trying to play directly from the Spotify app using direct control or through the Sonos app?

As a test I would ask you to temporarily connect one of your Sonos products into the router (preferably the main Orbi router), and let me know if the problem continues with Spotify.

I have the exact same issue currently.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure.  Cox is the ISP 300/30.  Modem is a Netgear CM1100 (not Cox) and the Orbi is the RBK53S-100NAS (router sat plus 2 seperate sats).  Like I said, this appears to only be a Spotify problem connecting with the Sonos.  All other music services are working fine.  I added Amazon Prime as primary for Alexa and it plays without hesitation to the Sonos take 3’s.  If spotify is selected it’s a no go.  Can’t play Spotify to Sonos through any device including the desktop app (Sonos as well as Spotify’s).

Thank you for your consideration Sebastien!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Mind letting me know the brand and model of your modem (ISP) and your Orbi Mesh system (for example, RBk33, RB5K50, etc.) as well if it is a separate device?