Skip to main content
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Sonos family, having just purchased a house with a built-in Sonos system (amp + 5 ceiling speakers throughout the house). We also purchased a Sonos Arc and Beam 2.

I have the system up and running, meaning that I can listen to music. However, I am having trouble identifying and isolating the built-in ceiling speakers by room. When I try to identify the architectural speakers using the S2 App, I hear the high pitched sound coming from the speaker, but then the App says that "No Sonos Architectural speakers detected".

What am I doing wrong here? I have tried the older App (S1), but it says that all of my components are up-to-date and compatible with the new App.

Surely, I am missing something. I just want to be able to control the volume by room (we have one in a bathroom, and it is super loud because I can't control it individually).

I should note that I can isolate the Sonos Arc, Beam 2 and the main system Amp, so I can control those individually, just not the architectural speakers connected to the main system Amp.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Just because your in-ceiling speakers are connected to a Sonos Amp doesn’t mean that the speakers are Sonos Architectural speakers. More than likely they are third-party speakers not made by Sonos.

And if all five speakers are wired to one Amp, then all five speakers are acting as one zone meaning that they will all play the same content at the same volume.

Can you post a photo of the back of the “amp”?

Trueplay can only be performed with Sonos by Sonance in ceilings. Not other in ceilings.  https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/architectural

Just because your in-ceiling speakers are connected to a Sonos Amp doesn’t mean that the speakers are Sonos Architectural speakers. More than likely they are third-party speakers not made by Sonos.

And if all five speakers are wired to one Amp, then all five speakers are acting as one zone meaning that they will all play the same content at the same volume.

Thank you - here is a photo of the amp. I’m not sure of the brand of the speakers in the ceiling (just assumed that they were Sonos lol). 

Thats not a Sonos Amp.  Sonos Amps are square.

In the S2 app it says it is? See attached.

The OP has a Sonos Amp. The picture is the underside of it.

Thank you - here is a photo of the amp. I’m not sure of the brand of the speakers in the ceiling (just assumed that they were Sonos lol). 

More than likely, they are not Sonos Architectural speakers. And if they are all wired to the same Sonos Amp, you will not be able to control each speaker individually. When you stream music through the Amp, it will play out of all five speakers at the same time at the same volume.

The OP has a Sonos Amp. The picture is the underside of it.

Ahh, I see now.  I've never seen the bottom.  That looks nothing like the top side.

Not owning one myself, either, I’m intrigued by that screw in the center of it. Does it go all the way through to mount the Amp to the wall?