Answered

Unable to add my Amp to the network ...

• 22 October 2023
  • 93 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

93 replies

Can you just clarify if LespeReeves originates from the IR WiFi adapters, or from DPH?

In my iMac’s wifi settings , I see that the LespeReeves IP address begins with 192.168 ….  That would tell me that LespeReeves is connected to the DPH or D1 router.  It cannot be connected to the IR Wifi adapter/repeater.

I have three quick questions…

• What is the IR subnets first 2 octets - just so there is no confusion here?
  • Did you personally set the LespeReeves SSID for your Deco WiFi?
  • Also, then what is the IR WiFi SSID and your repeater SSID - I assume they are different as they are operating (it appears) on a different subnet?

Plugging the B2 to GES2 would distance B2 from the Sonos devices it is suppose to extend the network.  Do I do that ? What am I suppose to experience ?

I would only worry about that if the next nearest Sonos device to B2 is more than 40 feet away on the other side of a wall - SonosNet should reach that far with its 2.4Ghz penetrating mesh signal.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

On my mobile device, the Sonos app says that the Associated product’s IP address begins with 192.168.  That would mean that the B1 is connected trough D1.

Moderator edit: removed identifying information

Can I just clarify that you were not trying to setup the Amp with your iMAC computer S2 controller App - as you can only setup devices with a mobile device controller App - just thought I should highlight that, just in case.

Can I just clarify that you were not trying to setup the Amp with your iMAC computer S2 controller App - as you can only setup devices with a mobile device controller App - just thought I should highlight that, just in case.

Ah ignore the above - our posts crossed - I see you are using an iPhone too. 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have three quick questions…

• What is the IR subnets first 2 octets - just so there is no confusion here ? 10.00
  • Did you personally set the LespeReeves SSID for your Deco WiFi ?  Cannot remember.  How can I know that ?
  • Also, then what is the IR WiFi SSID and your repeater SSID - I assume they are different as they are operating (it appears) on a different subnet?  The repeater is disconnected and I have rebooted the entire network/routers.  It should not be an issue actually.

So Deco is using 192.168.68.0/24 - so what subnet is your IR using?

Also what is IR’s SSID (I don’t really need its full SSID) - just enough to know that its different to your Deco SSID, which you said is named LespeReeves?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Does that help:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So Deco is using 192.168.68.0/24 - so what subnet is your IR using?

Also what is IR’s SSID (I don’t really need its full SSID) - just enough to know that its different to your Deco SSID, which you said is named LespeReeves?

My ISP told me that it’s network address would begin with 10.00.

Okay our posts keep crossing…

Deco is SSID ‘LespeReeves’ and subnet 192.168.*.*  —> Note too that you have quite an unusual subnet mask (255.255.252.0) for a Home network setup??

IR (ISP Router is SSID ‘ ??‘ and you think it’s subnet 10.0.*.* 

Can you just quickly check it’s subnet and get its WiFi SSID too (both for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands) as that’s quite important.

Which subnet and WiFi is your mobile controller device connected to? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Okay our posts keep crossing…

Deco is SSID ‘LespeReeves’ and subnet 192.168.*.*  —> Note too that you have quite an unusual subnet mask (255.255.252.0) for a Home network setup??

I have no idea where it comes from.

IR (ISP Router is SSID ‘ ??‘ and you think it’s subnet 10.0.*.* 

That’s what my ISP told me this morning.  I saw my Apple TV connected to this network. See picture.

Can you just quickly check it’s subnet and get its WiFi SSID too (both for tge 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands) as that’s important.

How do I do that ?

Which subnet and WiFi is your mobile controller device connected to ? 

Does the picture below help you ?  I will delete these picture as soon as you see them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I need 15 minutes break time. Sorry.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Do I still need to connect B2 to GES2 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Did you have a look to the pictures ?

Why on earth don’t you just wire the Amp to the second port of the Boost (B1)? It only needs to be a temporary connection. If even that doesn’t allow you to add it to the system there’s something really wrong. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Why on earth don’t you just wire the Amp to the second port of the Boost (B1)? If even that doesn’t allow you to add it to the system there’s something really wrong. 

Whenever I wire a Sonos device to the network I get a message telling me to not connect any wired device.  All my other Sonos devices are connected wirelessly.

Yes it’s best to do that …

I am happy that you have somehow ‘accidentally’ split your LAN into two separate networks because the image from your Apple TV is definitely a different subnet and is showing a wired Ethernet connection. Your phone on the other hand, is on a completely different network subnet altogether.

So it’s certainly seems to me that a misconfigured network is "most probably" at the heart of the issue here. 

What I still do not know are the details of your wireless network setup - you really need to access the router configuration pages and see what its wireless networks are doing and what it’s WiFi SSID names are for it’s WiFi. Assuming you have never changed them, then I guess you must already know what the SSID’s are, as it would be the WiFi name you were using with IR router prior to purchasing the TP-Link Deco mesh.

If you do not know, then you might need to study your router manual to see how to access that information but I can say that the routers web-page/login will probably be located at 10.0.0.1 on its subnet

Why on earth don’t you just wire the Amp to the second port of the Boost (B1)? If even that doesn’t allow you to add it to the system there’s something really wrong. 

Whenever I wire a Sonos device to the network I get a message telling me to not connect any wired device.  All my other Sonos devices are connected wirelessly.

That’s nonsensical. Sonos can have any number of wired devices. Can’t you ignore the silly message?

Why on earth don’t you just wire the Amp to the second port of the Boost (B1)? It only needs to be a temporary connection. If even that doesn’t allow you to add it to the system there’s something really wrong. 

The OP has actually setup the Amp in the past when wired - it’s when they then try to run it wireless afterwards that he has had issues.. it seems quite clear now that the wired network (as can be seen from the Apple TV screenshot) is a different subnet to the WiFi network SSID "LespeReeves” being used by the iPhone mobile controller device - the user needs to switch their mobile controller devices to connect to the other WiFi  network - sadly it seems they do not know the ‘other’ SSID, or how to access it - I don’t even know myself (yet) if the Deco WiFi and IR WiFi (incorrectly) have the same SSID.

Even when the Amp is setup here and working, it seems to me that the OP’s local network setup will still need looking at in detail, as it seems like it’s in a bit of a mess and certainly split across two subnets.

It might actually be best to call into Sonos Support and sort out these things over the phone to save all the toing and froing of posts here.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That’s nonsensical. Sonos can have any number of wired devices. Can’t you ignore the silly message?

Sonos does not proceed.  Is says that my Sonos network is wireless and that I cannot have a wired device.  Maybe it’s because I have old Connect Amps compatible with S2 along with a newer Amp.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Done.  What do I do next ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

What is OP ?

Done.  What do I do next ?

I’m happy to try to help as much as I can. Although you may need to give Sonos a call - but maybe next try plugging Boost 1 into your Primary Deco Hub and wait approx. 5 minutes for all devices to show in the App and then try adding the Amp again via "Settings/System/ ‘Add Product’ in your iPhone S2 App

What is OP ?

Opening Poster - er..’you’😀

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I thank you very much for trying and doing your best.  I will give Sonos a call.