Question

Unable to add music to the queue

• 10 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello

I have amazon music and napster music services linked to my account. They will both happily play 2 or 3 songs before giving up. I then get a variety of errors:

• Unable to add music to the queue
  • unable to play “X” - unable to connect to Amazon Music

We’ve changed all of the wifi set up several times (we’re now on a fixed wifi channel with minimal interference) and so a simple “reboot your router” is not a suitable solution. This is driving me mental and really distracting from our ability to enjoy the sonos speakers.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance:)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @rich_e , Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry about what happened with your Sonos system when playing songs, and thanks for doing some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. I’ll ask some questions to further check on this issue.

• When did it start happening?
  • Are there any changes to your setup before this issue happened?
  • Is it only happening on Napster and Amazon Music? How about other Music services?
  • Is it happening on the native Apps for Napster and Amazon Music or just on the Sonos App?

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Userlevel 2

Hi SimonB

Thanks so much for getting back to me - really appreciate that:) In answer to your question:

1. When did it start happening - probably 9 months ago but kind of tollerated it until now. It’s become repeatedly worse unfortunately so that it’s almost everytime we use the sonos system
  2. No change to the setup - I’ve changed the wifi setup several times since the problem has appeared to see if that can resolve it - added wifi extenders, move the wifi extenders, remove the wifi extenders, auto channel switching and now I’ve ended up with a system where everything is on one fixed channel and everything else seems really stable with good coverage. It’s just the sonos system that appears to struggle. One thing I have no control over is the local internet connection and I can’t control if that cuts in and out. It’s not amazing and it does cut out periodically but I’m not sure it cuts out everytime I use the sonos (happy to be proven wrong though!). Even if it does, the sonos system should be able to detect this, recover gracefully and allow songs to be added. Currently we have to wait for about 5/10min in silence before we can add songs back to the queue. Then it will happen again.
  3. I only have napster and amazon. It happens with both services. I think that because it is happening on both, I would presume that it would happen on a third service. Unfortunately I don’t have a third service to try this out on. I have tried the music services natively (i.e. running napster on my phone for a period of time) and these services don’t cut out. Therefore it does appear to be a sonos thing whereby they lose connection with the service for some reason, OR it just struggles to manage the interface with the service and gets the queue all confused…..
  4. It happens on the sonos app on my iphone, my wife’s iphone and also the desktop app on the iMac
  5. I’ve sent a diagnostic request (842635381) - I love the diagnostic service - I think it’s so cool that you can access the data remotely! I hope that it gives some indication what the issue might be:)

Thanks for you help and let me know if you want any further testing done;)

Regards

Richard

Hi SimonB

Thanks so much for getting back to me - really appreciate that:) In answer to your question:

1. When did it start happening - probably 9 months ago but kind of tollerated it until now. It’s become repeatedly worse unfortunately so that it’s almost everytime we use the sonos system
  2. No change to the setup - I’ve changed the wifi setup several times since the problem has appeared to see if that can resolve it - added wifi extenders, move the wifi extenders, remove the wifi extenders, auto channel switching and now I’ve ended up with a system where everything is on one fixed channel and everything else seems really stable with good coverage. It’s just the sonos system that appears to struggle. One thing I have no control over is the local internet connection and I can’t control if that cuts in and out. It’s not amazing and it does cut out periodically but I’m not sure it cuts out everytime I use the sonos (happy to be proven wrong though!). Even if it does, the sonos system should be able to detect this, recover gracefully and allow songs to be added. Currently we have to wait for about 5/10min in silence before we can add songs back to the queue. Then it will happen again.
  3. I only have napster and amazon. It happens with both services. I think that because it is happening on both, I would presume that it would happen on a third service. Unfortunately I don’t have a third service to try this out on. I have tried the music services natively (i.e. running napster on my phone for a period of time) and these services don’t cut out. Therefore it does appear to be a sonos thing whereby they lose connection with the service for some reason, OR it just struggles to manage the interface with the service and gets the queue all confused…..
  4. It happens on the sonos app on my iphone, my wife’s iphone and also the desktop app on the iMac
  5. I’ve sent a diagnostic request (842635381) - I love the diagnostic service - I think it’s so cool that you can access the data remotely! I hope that it gives some indication what the issue might be:)

Thanks for you help and let me know if you want any further testing done;)

Regards

Richard

so you are still connecting through Wifi?  I was a happy Sonos customer for years using a bridge to create a SonosNet network.  I used trade up credits several weeks ago to get 2 G3 Play 5’s, an ARC, a G3 Sub and an AMP, removing the bridge and connecting directly to WIFI while converting to the new S2 platform.  I wasted 2 weeks of my life experiencing nothing but problems, and the wife was not happy.  Unable to add song to queue, songs cutting out halfway through saying incorrect format, etc, etc, etc.  I purchased a $20 TP-link switch which enabled me to hard wire my ARC, and I’m back to being a happy customer.

Try hardwiring a speaker or purchase a Boost!

Userlevel 2

Hi Coop43

Thanks for the response and the good tips. I don’t have a boost but do have a bridge like you (it’s an early system) with 2x3sand 2x5s in a stereo pair. I guess I could look at using a TP Link ethernet extender for each of the units but would a boost be better?

Rich

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @rich_e, thanks for the update and for the diagnostic report that you provided. Upon checking, I saw that you still have a Sonos Bridge. Kindly check this link about removing a Sonos Bridge or checking for options on this issue, which may be the cause of this issue. Also, options on a Sonos Boost upgrade. Or you may also do a sequential reboot. By unplugging your Wireless connections, then your Sonos speakers for 1-2 minutes. And plugging the speakers back in after the Wifi connections are back. 

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.
We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 2

well that royally screwed up the system.

I removed the bridge and now speakers are appearing and disappearing randomly when I walk around the house. I can’t create a stereo pair (even though the two speakers have an ethernet link between them). All I want to do is to listen to some music rather than spend two hours doing IT support. So I’ve bought a boost - let’s see how that helps (or doesn’t help)

Make sure you add the Boost to the existing system. The next thing that usually happens in this situation is that the next post says 'my whole system has disappeared' because the Boost has been set up as a new system.

Userlevel 2

So an update on the state of play (sorry for the delay but we’ve been away for a few days). I got the boost and that seems to have resolved the issue. No error messages about not being able to add music to the queue! Hoorah.

However the wifi in the lounge was swamped by the sonos and I had to get another wifi extender for the lounge. So with the new wifi set up, everything seems to be behaving itself. It’s early days yet but fingers crossed. Thanks for your help everyone:)