Skip to main content
Answered

Turntable with multiple Ports

• 9 December 2023
  • 4 replies

I purchased a home recently and I'm trying to understand the existing setup and how I can integrate a turntable. There's a receiver that connects to multiple sets of speakers throughout the house and then there are 5 Sonos Ports, one for each zone.

If I connect a turntable to the input on one of the ports, will that allow me to play it across any zones like I can with the app? Or will I only get output to the zone controlled by the port I connect to?

Also, do I need an additional preamp or anything? I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Thank you!

You’ll need to install the Sonos app on your phone first. This acts as the controller for your system. 
Sonos has a feature called grouping. This enables the input at one device to play, fully synchronised, to all zones/rooms. 

Thanks for the response. I already have the app and it works great for other input sources (Pandora/Spotify/etc.). And to be clear, the speakers are _not_ Sonos speakers...does that impact anything? What I’m gathering from what you said is that I could connect the turntable to any port and it would effectively show up as an input source that I could group like any other?

Thanks!

The Port has a line-in, so your turntable will require a pre-amp out, or be connected to the port via a pre-amp. Other than that, it’s just a source - indeed, it can be the source to a different zone/room to that it’s physically connected to. 

Awesome, thank you very much!