System with Sonos Port, CD player, turntable

• 21 December 2023
  • 4 replies

I have a system consisting of a CD player with passive speakers, and a turntable. The CD player doubles as the amp for the turntable.

I recently bought a Port in order to play music in another room, which is equipped with an Era 300. That part is working as intended.

My issue is that I can't make use of my passive speakers when using the Sonos system. The CD player is used to play Cd's or to amplify the turntable, thus I can't connect it to the Port's out. 

Did I actually needed a Sonos Amp instead of a Port?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If I understand your set up right, the CD-player is actually an amplifier with a CD-player built in? Since it works as a preamp for your turntable and powers your passive speakers? Could you post the producer and model? Just to check if there’s another way to connect the Port?

That's probably a more accurate description, yes.

The turntable is an Audio Technica AT LP60 USB

The Amp/Cd player is a Panasonic SA-PMX80

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Panasonic only has one line in connection (according to https://help.na.panasonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/SCPMX80_TQBJ2004_ENG.pdf), that is currently used by your pre-amped turntable. I think it should be possible to make te Port act as a middel man between the turntable and the Panasonic. You would connect the turntable to the “in” on the Port and connect the “out” on the Port to the Panasonic. Choose “line in” as a source on the Sonos app.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how I can get a CD to play on the Sonos system with these connections. I can play a Vinyl but the sound still doesn't come through the passive speakers.