Skip to main content
Answered

Stereo sound not working via line-in, but only for DVD sound?

• 31 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi all - thanks in advance for any help!

I have two Sonos Fives in my living room, set up as a stereo pair. They play music wirelessly just fine, working as a stereo pair. 

The right-hand one also has a line-in connected. It connects to a CD/DVD player (it’s an OPPO BDP-103EU BDP-103EU Blu-ray player, in case that’s relevant). The line-in connects to the back socket of the right-hand Sonos Five, and runs down and splits into the red and white inputs to the player. When I play CDs from the player, the two Sonos Fives work fine as a stereo pair, with both playing fine. But when I play DVDs from the player, the stereo sound does not work: it seems to me that only the left-hand Sonos Five seems to work, and the right-hand one (i.e. the one that receives the line-in) is not playing any sound, so that e.g. some dialogue from the film is not played, or e.g. the instrumental parts of film songs play but not the vocal parts of those songs.

Because the line-in seems to work fine when I play CDs via the player, I am guessing that the line-in itself is set up correctly (?), and there is some setting in the app I need to change when I am playing DVDs? But I’m afraid can’t work out what I need to tweak.

All help / suggestions greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Where I’d be looking is at the audio settings in the OPPO. You’ve proven the connection works properly, by playing a CD, which outputs a stereo signal. I’d be looking at the settings for when you’re playing a DVD, and what type of signal it thinks it should be sending out that analog connection.

It does seem odd to me that it allows anything other than stereo to be sent out of that pair of jacks. Hmmm, upon thought, you have only told us where they connect to your Sonos Five, but not where the cable is plugged in on the OPPO. Hopefully, there is a red and a white RCA jack, and nothing else. 

I’d also try, at least as a test, switching the line in on the Sonos Five to the left hand speaker instead of the right. And, to be honest, I’d also, separately, try a power cycle of both speakers, just because I’m paranoid. 

Thanks a lot mate - will give this a go and report back! 

@Airgetlam was quite right - the OPPO default settings had somehow defaulted to a 7.1 surround setting, which was not working with a pair of Sonos speakers operating in stereo. Changing the Oppo settings to a more basic stereo setting solved the issue. (Not actually a Sonos issue at all, therefore - but thanks a lot for helping me!)

Glad you figured it out. (Putting on my Luddite hat) So many electronics these days can change settings on you, either by an update of the device’s firmware, or even a power surge unnoticed. It is always good to double check. 

I can recall a couple of days where I was furious with Sonos, and it turned out Western Digital had, without asking me, turned off SMB v1 which my Sonos was using at the time.

There was another time Vizio sent out an update that changed the settings on my TV, which caused issues for my PLAYBAR. Unfortunately, it’s easy to blame the last added device, or the device last in the change, but you have to troubleshoot with an open mind. I have worked with my share of QA teams, who browbeat me (very appropriately) into that belief, god bless them.