Answered

Static/Noise when Amp Grouped to Other Speakers

• 1 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have my turntable hooked up to my Sonos Amp via Line-In.  When I switch to line in and play (without dropping the needle) I get silence.  If I then group the Amp with another speaker (in my Case I grouped with a Beam 5.1 setup in my Basement).  I suddenly have static hiss/noise coming out of my speakers hooked up to the Amp (still haven dropped the needle).  Its almost like the beam is feeding a signal back to the Amp which is odd as the Line-In is on the Amp.  

Removed the Beam from the grouping so it was just the Amp again and the noise stops.  I have no idea if this also happens when it actually plays as I don't often group with other speakers when playing the turntable but it is quite annoying.  

I was also able to replicate this grouping to my Move, so its not a problem with .  Can easily reproduce this issue.

Could the turntable be picking up wifi interference?  If so, why wouldn't it be doing so with the just the Amp in the group since the Amp is still connected to Wifi for volume control.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 February 2021, 16:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @buddyrich33 

Thanks for your post. Are you still having this issue? We were unable to recreate your issue on our equipment, so if you are still experiencing it I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team directly.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I don’t think its an issue with the turntable - the noise/static only manifests itself when the Amp Zone is grouped with another Sonos speaker and its using the line-in on the Amp.  

Its silent if I use the same turntable and its just playing to the Amp Zone.  

In either case I haven’t lowered the tone-arm or turned on the turntable so the Amp shouldn’t be receiving a signal from line-in, however as soon as I group a 2nd speaker, there is a static hiss that is then played out the amp/speakers, that isn’t there when it is not grouped to another speaker.

I grouped my Amp Zone with my Beam HT setup and also a Move and both have the same issue.

I have to find a 3.5” to LR RCA cable to plug an iphone into line in to take the turntable out of the equation.

Here are a few things to perhaps check with turntable static...

1. Check/replace the RCA line-in cable.
  2. Check for damaged/worn stylus or bent cantilever etc?
  3. Cartridge alignment?... https://audio-technica.com.au/how-to/align-turntable-cartridge/
  4. Tone arm balance (weight too low perhaps?) See this link... https://thevinylfactory.com/features/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

However I would also try a portable player, in place of the turntable, to maybe rule out things and then look towards the turntable itself (if necessary).

Or you can go the other route and try the turntable with another Amp/Receiver, that’s  if you do have access to one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @buddyrich33

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions

• Was it working before?
  • When did the issue start happening?
  • Any changes that happened on the network/outage/power surge?
  • How far is your Beam from your Sonos Amp?

Interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space. If this overlap is causing performance issues, it can be quickly resolved by finding the source of the interference.

It would be great if you will replicate the issue. Start playback for a few minutes and then submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.