Skip to main content

Hello everyone, I’ve been an WiFi (IT) Engineer professionally for 10+ years and wanted to share some thoughts and tips that I hope can help some of you out there struggling with the stability of Sonos and their App.

Sorry this is a long post, you can skip down to the ***TIPS**** section if you would like.

In our industry we roll our eyes every time a customer wants to widely support IOT devices, or Internet-of-Things device, such as a Sonos, AppleTV, Roku, Smart TV’s, Gaming Consoles, you name it, in a enterprise environment. These Sonos are no different of an animal and for the price you pay, the software is exceptionally poor at best.  I am guessing Sonos speakers are QA tested in severely isolated wireless environments and not enough in the real world, where there are countless interference sources, hundreds if not thousands consumer grade different wireless routers. Unfortunately for us customers, we all live in the real world and not perfectly isolated wireless environments.

To give you all a sense of my environment.  I live in the rural countryside with no house closer than 350ft from me (safe from neighbors protruding WiFi), have enterprise grade firewall/switch/wireless equipment and still struggled with the stability of the Sonos environment until just recently. So don’t get bent out of shape thinking spending hundreds of dollars on networking equipment will magically fix all your Sonos problems.

I have 2 One SL’s and 1 One, Android phone user (+ Iphone for testing).

Until recently, I could never get all 3 of my devices to consistently populate in the Sonos App, and if they show up, it was rare I could get all 3 of them to group and play together, often get connection errors in the App as well when attempting to group speakers together. Or 1 of them would drop out within 10-15 minutes or less. Cannot count how many reboots of the Sonos devices, force quitting the App on my phone I have done in the last 4 weeks or so.

Even doing some minor testing with 1 of the speakers Ethernet wired into my network, I still had issues with the App showing all 3 devices at once, or grouping 2 of them (1 being wired, together).  I wanted to rule out Android itself, as often with MANY IOT devices like these, you never know which platform the developers were writing their App for, often times it works great on one Mobile platform and not the other, for ex. Apple and Android.  So I grabbed my wifes Iphone and tested it out, no different, struggle to see all the devices, cannot group 2 of them together of the 2 I can see, real poor experience, no different than Android. 

***TIP: Check your XBOX’s (I have Xbox One), by pulling the power completely out of the unit if you have “WIFI Issues”**

So I tried using Airplay (Apples protocol for audio/video/screensharing), and NOT the Sonos App, worked great for a few minutes, all 3 Sonos devices show up in Airplay with NO issue instantly, AMAZING!  So I played some music and few minutes in, 1 of my Sonos drops off the Airplay playing music, though I see it immediately listed in the list of available audio devices to play in the Iphone. Now I have noticed in the past being an Wifi Engineer, that Xbox gaming systems (at least Xbox One’s) use 5GHz to communicate with controllers every 5-10 minutes or so (even while the system is powered OFF). My Wireless AP will pick up on a unregistered MAC Address emitting RF in the 5GHz space very briefly (I have narrowed this down my Xbox before), though I never thought it interfere with the Sonos since 5GHz has the most non-overlapping channels and I have a single AP in my house. I could see from my Wireless gear that the Xbox was “chirping” on 5GHz channel 165 meanwhile my AP was on 5GHz channel 149, these channels that do NOT overlap (when using 40mhz wide channels, which I do), so Channel 149 is essentially Channels 149 and 153 together.  Why would this behavior kick off the Sonos from playing if they don’t even operate in the same RF space? I don’t know, ask a Sonos developer why as it makes no sense whatsoever and is incredible poor engineering. The 1 Sonos Speaker that was connecting to my Wifi network on 5GHz, not the 2 Sonos connected to 2.4GHz, was the one that got kicked off my Airplay music stream testing from an Iphone. At this point I knew to pull the power plug on the Xbox so it would stop “chirping” on 5GHz every 5-10 minutes.  When I did that, I tested Airplay again from an Iphone and played music non-stop with no issue for nearly an hour (again not testing this with the Sonos App). Incredible. ***TIP: Check your XBOX’s (I have Xbox One), by pulling the power completely out of the unit if you have “WIFI Issues”**

This still didn’t solve the Sonos software inability to consistently locate all 3 speakers at once and play to them all together or in groups of 2. This issue still plagued me on the Iphone and Android phone.

***TIP: Use DHCP Reservations (Static IP’s) on your network for all your Sonos gear *****

I did some reading on the forums here and I read about Static IP addressing the Sonos devices with DHCP Reservations often stabilizes the Sonos speakers. Great, so lets try that. Sure enough after creating DHCP Reservations in my DHCP server, clearing my DHCP releases in my DHCP server and rebooting the Sonos speakers, all 3 magically showed up in the Sonos App ( flawlessly and am able to group them all together with no issue and have been playing music on all 3 together for over an hour now with no issues of them dropping out of the app, etc.  Its stated in other posts I have read, but I cannot stress enough how important this is for stability.  

***TIP: Use DHCP Reservations (Static IP’s) on your network for all your Sonos gear *****

Its incredible how a product of this caliber fails on multiple levels. Sounds great from an audio perspective, works poorly unless you have a “perfect” network.  Asking your average consumer to have clean WiFi (RF) environments and rely on static IP addressing the Sonos devices to have them work flawlessly is incredible.  How many Sonos customers out there have Xbox One’s? LOTS.  Having enterprise grade networking equipment can only help you so much.

Good luck folks, hope this helps some of you out there still struggling to get your Sonos to be stable.

IP reservation is often recommended as it helps to avoid trouble from lousy routers, especially when Sonos units reboot during a firmware upgrade. Perhaps you were encountering IP conflicts for such reasons.

Your community profile doesn’t mention what country you’re in but, as you’re no doubt aware, in many regions your choice of 5GHz channel means that it’s subject to TPC and/or DFS restrictions. Best avoided IMHO.

Yes, great additional tip to avoid DFS Channels on the 5GHz radio with a product as sensitive as this is! I forgot to take this into consideration when fine tuning my setup to best support IOT devices such as these speakers, as there is no real reason to use DFS in the rural quiet (RF wise) environment where I live. 

After playing fine for 2 hours in testing after I perceived my setup as stable.  1 of the speakers dropped off the app and grouping of 3 speakers after 2 hours of flawless playback with all 3 speakers at once was the best I’ve seen in 4 weeks until it broke. It was my lone 5GHz connected One SL speaker that dropped off.

I am not certain why, could be DFS channel related as I was running on channel 132 at the time during this test.  Strange why it would bump the speaker off after working for multiple hours, another great question for a Sonos developer as it clearly was working on a DFS channel so its supported by the hardware to some degree, I had no other broadcasting Wifi devices running at the time. This speaker is 10ft from the AP, and not next to any other RF emitting devices within a 15ft radius.  Perhaps the 5GHz radio/chipset in these speakers is low quality, as the wireless signal on this speaker on 5GHz was roughly 45-50 SNR or 40-45dbm during this test. 

Any case I turned all DFS channels off, that’s channels 50 through 144 here in the USA.  After rebooting my Wireless AP, 2 of the speakers now connected on 5GHz (one of them on a weak signal of only 20 SNR or -70dbm).  Played for an hour or so before the 1 speaker with the weak 5GHz signal disappeared from the App and the playing group, other 5GHz connected speaker with great signal strength was fine.  Checked my Wireless AP, and sure enough that speaker that dropped off the App and the group switched radio bands to 2.4GHz, as the signal got too low.  The Sonos App is unable to recover from this behavior of simply switching bands without a complete reload of the speaker, Wireless AP and phone (in my experiences so far).  

I decided to build a new Wireless SSID just for the Sonos speakers and only to operate it on 2.4GHz, as it seems most stable for these speakers (prevents speakers from switching radio bands by locking it down to a single radio band), which is ironic as generally in the WiFi industry we are pushing 5GHz as much as possible for many reasons.  Ideally I would want to build this Wireless SSID for these speakers only on 5GHz, but the 5GHz coverage in my house is not adequate enough for all the speaker locations. 

I may also consider using the “SonosNet” aka private wireless mesh network with a single wired speaker to see if its anymore stable.  Based on the channel selections available in SonosNet, I chuckled when it says its proprietary technology and see it gives you channels 1, 6, 11 to choose to operate on….  those are all 3 of the valid 2.4GHz channels in 802.11 Wifi. Kind of neat idea from a high level, but technically poorly implemented as the channel has to be statically set by the uninformed consumer/end user.  Its not smart enough to choose the best channel on its own, or give the consumer/end user the ability to either tell the speaker to auto select the best channel OR statically set it yourself. If you have a smart enough Wireless router, you can tell your Wireless router to auto-select the best channel to avoid interfering with the SonosNet private wireless mesh network feature, otherwise you have to periodically keep checking the RF environment around you and see which 2.4 GHZ channel is best to operate on for SonosNet.

DFS is of course Dynamic (the D) hence the AP is obliged to listen out for priority users and vacate the channel if required. The option of 5GHz for the WiFi (“wireless”) Sonos operating mode is relatively new, so perhaps the units have yet to handle having the rug pulled out from under them, by an AP channel switch, as seamlessly as we would like. Reconnection can sometimes trigger a soft restart.

My understanding is that, within certain RSSI limits, a unit will prefer 5GHz to 2.4GHz but below a threshold it will revert to 2.4GHz.

Apropos your chuckling about SonosNet, it’s perhaps before your time so you may not be aware that when Sonos first debuted in 2005 SonosNet was the only setup mode. Given what was available at the time in the WiFi world it was something of pioneer, offering an extensible mesh and separation of time-sensitive audio from other, bursty traffic. It’s still the best operating mode for larger systems. 

Had you set up your system from new in SonosNet mode it would have chosen the best of 1/6/11 considering the environment. Yes, it’s fixed after that unless the user changes it, and this is most definitely welcome, in the interests of maintaining mesh stability.

Routers auto-select channels out of the box and, as with their all too frequent use of 40MHz at 2.4GHz, often get things completely wrong. They regularly don’t detect and avoid SonosNet. The standard advice here is to fix WiFi out of the way of SonosNet.

Another point that you may not be aware of is that Sonos units perform best in groups when they share a common channel, since the stream flows can then be sent directly between wireless peers. This also applies to bonded stereo pairs and non-HT Subs, which are a special type of group. 

Deleted in interest of civility.

Well I feel a little better that it’s not just me. If “Stability Tips from a Wifi Engineer“ can’t figure it out. 
My issue is simple, my Sonos one drops and skips when trying to play Spotify from my iPhone. 

Well I feel a little better that it’s not just me. If “Stability Tips from a Wifi Engineer“ can’t figure it out. 
My issue is simple, my Sonos one drops and skips when trying to play Spotify from my iPhone. 

It isn't as complex as it is all being made out to be.

I had a 5 zone system with just one unit wired to the router, and reserved IP addresses for all Sonos units including the phone that hosted the Sonos app. I never had any significant issues using Sonosnet once it was automatically set up by the system, keeping Sonosnet on channel 1 and the home WiFI on channel 11.

I now have more Sonos units wired back to the router, but that is for the special case of needing TV audio piped around to these using very small buffer sizes to avoid lip sync issues.

And I am not an engineer, let alone of the WiFi kind.