Skip to main content
Answered

Speakers disappear. Reset Everything and they disappear again.

• 26 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have a seven Sonos devices in four rooms.

• Living room: Soundbar and two Play:1 for surround
  • Bedroom: One Play:1
  • Kitchen: Two Play:1’s
  • Garden: Amp powering two speakers.

Both the living room and kitchen devices keep disappearing from my system list. However, when I watch TV it plays through the Sonos devices and if I ask my kitchen Google device to play music it will play through the Sonos devices linked to it. However, I can not go into the app and just play some music to these devices. I completely reset the entire system and restarted my router and got everything set back up but they have both disappeared again. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

Describe your network for us. What is wired? What is wireless? Which router are you using? Are there any additional wireless access points or WiFi extenders?

Perhaps the first thing to try is a different WiFi channel on your router. I would set the 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use either channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz to reduce wireless interference.

You could also later try wiring one speaker to your main router to switch the devices over to using their in-built SonosNet mesh wireless signal - which often helps with these type of issues. If you do try this however, I suggest you set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network” to a channel that is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. So, just as an example, if you set your router to channel 6, then set the SonosNet channel to either 1 or 11.

Describe your network for us. What is wired? What is wireless? Which router are you using? Are there any additional wireless access points or WiFi extenders?

I’m using a Google Nest router (newest version) and a number of points throughout the house. The Amp and the Soundbar are closest--within three feet--to the main router. Everything is wireless. I should note that this setup is not new and everything had worked flawlessly for a number of years.

I’m using a Google Nest router (newest version) and a number of points throughout the house. The Amp and the Soundbar are closest--within three feet--to the main router. Everything is wireless. I should note that this setup is not new and everything had worked flawlessly for a number of years.

Despite the past success with Google Nest and running your Sonos products on the Wifi signal, most users who visit the community here tend to opt to wiring one Sonos product only to the Nest ‘primary’ Hub and so run all on SonosNet instead. So perhaps try that suggestion and see which of the three channels 1, 6 or 11 work best for you.

Also see this thread…

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-components-google-mesh-wifi-go-wifi-or-sonosnet-6822265#post16322421

Thank you for your responses. I noticed that after the components disappear if I perform a router restart that brings them back. I have now hardwired one of my Sonos devices and I’m using Sonosnet. As far as I can tell, Google Nest WiFi does not allow me to change the or even tell me what channel it’s using. Sonosnet defaulted to channel 6 so if I continue to have problems I’ll try channel 1 or 11. Thanks again.