Answered

Speakers Continuously Disappearing

• 12 June 2021
  • 1 reply

This week 3 of my 12 or so Sonos speakers have started disappearing. I have done the usual turn off, then on, then restart the router.

Here’s the weird thing - when I am using the “find missing speakers” function on my app, and I restart the router, the app “finds” the speakers every time. HOWEVER, on our other devices (other iPhones, other iPads) the speakers are still missing. Even when I am actually playing music on these speakers, the other devices cannot find those same speakers. I have tried restarting the apps, restarting the devices, deleting the Sonos app and reinstalling it, and same result every time. If I run the “find missing speakers” function on another device, then that device will “find” the missing speakers, but then they will disappear from the device I previously used to “find” those same speakers. In other words, if I jump through the “restart speaker” and “restart router” hoops, only one device at a time will “find” these missing speakers. Also of note - the “missing” speakers are in the same room as other speakers and devices that have no problem connecting to Wifi. Two of the “missing” speakers are within 15 feet of a Wi-Fi access point, but again Wifi does not appear to be the issue since I can actually play the speakers that other devices running the Sonos app cannot “find.”

I ran a diagnostic, with confirmation 1200119012.

My Google Home app has no problem locating the speakers that the Sonos app cannot find, and again these same speakers are actually streaming music while the other devices cannot find them.

I don’t get it.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 June 2021, 23:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Sonos controllers use SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. Thereafter communication is via unicast. I suspect your network devices/controllers are having issues with the communication here, perhaps due to interference. 

I would start with a simple reboot of your router assuming that’s the only central WiFi access point and see if that improves things. You haven’t mentioned if your devices are using a SonosNet signal, so I will assume they’re not - if you want to help reduce interference, I would perhaps also set your 2.4Ghz wifi band to use a channel-width of 20MHz and set it to a fixed non-overlapping channel, such as 1, 6 or 11.

HTH