Skip to main content
Answered

Speaker(s) won't update

• 20 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Woke up. Opened Sonos app. Attempted to stream my favorite program. App shows problem with system. Opened system program. It says bedroom speakers need to update. Tried to complete update - fails at the final step. Says try again. Made several tries. Still won’t update. Tried rebooting the two Play 5’s and the S2 sub. Still won’t update. Attempted to update one Play 5 with the other speakers unplugged. Update still won’t complete. System won’t let me unpair the Play 5’s or unpair the sub. Tried connecting left Play 5 to ethernet but system won’t let me disconnect from WiFi. What can be done to fix this problem?

Try unplugging your speakers from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. Delete and re-install the Sonos app too.

Also, temporarily disable any VPN, virus protection, or port blocking software. 

Sorry, but none of the suggestions given have fixed the problem. I don’t have a VPN or port blocking software. I rebooted my router and left the speakers unplugged for several hours but still no improvement. I tried factory resetting the speaker. It gets to start the update but still fails to complete it. I also tried moving it downstairs to be close to my router and connected it to the router but updating still failed. Also, at no time have any other speakers tried to update when the problem speaker was unplugged from my network. Solutions anyone?

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of trying the update,  and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

So I submitted a system diagnostic to Sonos and spoke to technical support. What a waste of 3 hours of my time that I can’t get back on top of their inability to solve the problem. Wait, what? Yes they couldn’t fix the problem with the speaker. In fact, they told me to contact Asus, my router maker, to see if they had any ideas to fix the inability of the speaker to restart after seemingly downloading the update but failing to restart with the installed update. This is despite the fact that none of my other Sonos speakers have had a problem with the update. I can just imagine what Asus will say; more time in my life I can’t get back. So now I’m stuck with only one Play 5 and a subwoofer instead of a stereo pair of Play 5’s in my bedroom and a useless electronic box sitting on my headboard. Thanks Sonos!

Just a thought. You state that the “system won’t let me disconnect from WiFi”. In my idea this is not needed. Just connect by cable and (try to) update.