Answered

sound defaults to music instead of tv after update

• 10 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I have Playbase and 2 one’s. I just did the latest update to the app and gear on 3/9/21. Every time I turn off the Apple TV or listen to music, Sonos defaults the tv sound to my tv and music for the Sonos. I have auto play tv checked. 

icon

Best answer by Dannyherm 10 March 2021, 21:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dannyherm 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for your post, though I’m having a little trouble understanding what you mean. The optical link is one-way, so the Playbase can’t tell the TV anything - even that they are connected to each other.

Are you saying that the internal TV speakers start working again? If so, please try unplugging the TV from power for about a minute. Once it comes back on, make sure your TV’s output is set to be your optical/SPDIF port and that the TV’s speakers are disabled.

Is your Playbase connected to your TV, or to the Apple TV? What, exactly, happens? The more information you give, the better we can help.

Hi Corry,

Thank you for the reply. My TV’s sound output is on optical. The Apple TV is connected to the TV via HDMI and Playbase via optical. After the updates, when I power on the Apple TV I don’t have any sound. When I play music and switch back to Apple TV, I have no sound. Before the updates, Apple TV would default the sound when I switched back from music or when I power on the Apple TV. Now I have to long press the TV icon on the Apple TV remote and select “entertainment room” which is what I named for the speaker setup and that’s where I can choose either “entertainment room” or “TV sound.” It defaults to TV sound there and I have to switch back to entertainment room to hear sound out of the Sonos. 

I think I figured it out. If I keep the selection to TV sound, I get sound out of the Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Dannyherm 

That sounds right - the Apple TV is unaware of the Playbase (at least on the TV connection side of things) so TV Sound is what to select. Then the TV opts to send that to the Playbase, as it should.