Answered

Sony AV Receiver and SONOS Port

• 24 January 2024
  • 6 replies

I have a Sony STR-AV880 A/V Receiver vintage 1990s or so. It doesn’t have a dedicated pre-amp out for audio but does have RCA out for a 3 channel (Red/White/Yellow) A/V cable. When I connect the Red/White (L/R) line out to line in on PORT, there is no sound. Was on the line with support and after a considerable amount of time working through troubleshooting with me we narrowed it down to issue between SONY OUT and PORT IN. (yes, we tried alternate cables). They suggested contacting Sony, and I’m thinking anyone in Sony’s support department wasn’t even born when this receiver was made let alone still support it. Was ready to give up when I reconnected the PORT to my BOSE Wave Radio. Thought I would try using connectivity in both directions instead of just using the WAVE as a speaker for the PORT. Once hooked up, no sound from WAVE. It worked yesterday just fine. Only difference was that both input and output were now connected between BOSE and PORT. Just for kicks, I unplugged the cable connecting WAVE OUT to PORT IN and the WAVE now produced sound from PORT just as before. Got me thinking, but can’t get my head wrapped around what is going on. Any thoughts? Could this be a clue as to why I can’t get the Sony OUT to PORT IN to work?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 January 2024, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to send Sonos audio to speakers connected to your Sony receiver, or are you trying to send audio from the Sony receiver to a Sonos speaker? Please be specific.

I have no speakers connected to the receiver. I want use Sonos network as the speakers for the receiver (send audio from receiver to Sonos Port so it act as source to the Sonos system). Maybe to better explain, I have a cassette player, turntable and Reel to Reel that I would like to use with Sonos. They are all connected to the Receiver so I just want to connect the receiver to Sonos so I can use those devices as sources to Sonos.

Userlevel 7

Have you tried connecting the Port (IN) to the Sony TAPE 1 (REC OUT) and Port (Out) to Sony TAPE 1 (IN)?

No. Was planning on using both the cassette and RtoR as sources through the receiver but can sacrifice one of them if that’s what it takes. Will give that a try. It will be a couple of days before I can get back to it now, but thank you for the suggestion! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lost a long post.

Try using a tape deck on the VCR connection, if it works the Port should.

maybe a switch box like discussed here:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/a-signal-switch-to-attach-multiple-tape-decks/7624

I was able to get the SONY receiver to work as source to my SONOS system using the SONY Tape 1 REC OUT to Port IN. That sacrifices the use of the Reel to Reel in this configuration but it is a worthwhile tradeoff for now. May look into a switch box to be able to use both tape decks but happy for now. Thanks for the assistance guys!