Sonos without Guest Network

• 30 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi guys,

Help desperately needed - I purchased a SONOS network for use in our new business.

Problem is we rent the space and only have access to Guest WiFi - the SONOS speakers cannot see each other on this network.

Therefore I bought a Connect to add to the four ONE SLs and Sub (gen2).

I thought that I could set up a “local” mesh network using the Connect and play the other speakers through it but how do I do this (and is it possible)?

I have been told that i can get a Bluetooth transceiver and use this to make the Connect work but

1. what is this and what do I connect it to? is is a temporary or permanent solution?
  2. can I set up the system using my home WIFI network and transport everything to my place of work (where it will work without WiFI?)
  3. Can I use an old router to set up a WIFI network even though it isnt connected to the internet and set up SONOS through that?
  4. Any other ideas about how I can get this to work?

Many thanks in advance - If I can’t solve this I will likely return all the speakers and just buy a wired system.

MCEP

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Connect a travel router onto the guest network. It will set up a private network of its own, where Sonos devices can see one another.

Make sure the router can cope with the maximum number of devices you plan to connect.

And get your money back on that Connect ASAP. It's of no use to you.

Thanks so much Ratty - I am going to pick up a TP Link AC750 - since I don’t have to actually carry it around (it will permanently live on shelf) is this the best option or should i use a more powerful “regular” router linked to the guest LAN? For max umber of devices I have a connect, four ones and a Sub - will that be too many do you think? Or can I play everything through the Connect to use the bandwidth most efficiently?

Thanks also JohnB - I need the Connect so i can use a “line in” from a couple of different sources as the sound files I need to play aren’t on Spotify etc. AM I correct in thinking this?

Firstly it doesn’t matter whether you connect everything ‘through’ the Connect or not. Each device will still require an IP address. Some pure travel routers might be a bit miserly in terms of IP address pool size, since they only expect to be used in a travel context.

As for TP Link ‘AC750’ that means nothing other than its WiFi capabilities. A simple search throws up wireless extenders. You don’t want an extender, you need a router. 

Thanks Ratty that’s very useful - I meant that the router was based on the ac750 architecture - the model number is WR902AC

im very unfamiliar with WiFi tech in general - if IP pool size is a problem can I use any “normal” router as a “travel” router? Or are travel routers specifically designed to piggyback guest networks?

many thanks in advance

That TP-Link device should work fine in ‘hotspot’ router mode. 

Brilliant thank you again