Answered

SONOS system only plays only the first few seconds of PC music tracks

• 28 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Sonos 5 still plays radio OK. But when I select a music track or an album from my PC, Sonos now just plays the first few seconds of a track, pauses for a few seconds, then plays a few seconds of the next track. And on and on….  All was ok until a few days ago!

Can anyone help?

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 30 November 2020, 00:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @steveal, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. We appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this. 

I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

​1. Are you playing music from your music library on your computer?
2. Are you using Windows PC or MacOS?
3. Any changes in the network recently like a new router?
4. Have you tried updating your music library?
5. Have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?

To further assist you with this, please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number to check your system functionality and to further assist you with this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the reply, here are the answers to your questions

1. Yes
  2. Windows PC
  3. No
  4. Yes
  5. No

I notice a small message appears after each track plays for a few seconds “Unable to play XXXX - network connection  speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer”

Then after a pause the next track starts and plays about 10 seconds before quitting again and flashing the same message.

Note that the network seems just fine for all other services in that room (internet etc.)

Diagnostics sent. Confirmation number 377480549

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @steveal, thank you for your response and for submitting the report. Upon checking the diagnostic did not parse correctly. The diagnostic is either corrupted or in some cases your Sonos system is not communicating to the Sonos cloud server.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

Please submit another diagnostic report and let us know the confirmation number. Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Rowena,

I followed your steps and am now properly connected and fully working.

Thank you!