Skip to main content

Like many others, I have had issues with the new Sonos skipping songs and stopping play altogether. The answers given on this forum don’t appear to have fixed the issues, at least in my case, but I finally tried something that seems to have helped the issue. I post it here since it seems all the forum questions regarding this issue have been closed.

My network has a Linksys router, with a Beam located 3 feet from the router (wireless connection), and two remote speakers located 10-15 feet from the router, so signal strength is very strong. Re-booting everything did not help. Finally, I logged into the router and found the Sonos device on the network. The Linksys router I have allows up to three network devices to be give higher priority, so I gave the Sonos device high priority on the network, and the skipping is improved, but not totally eliminated. It’s barely usable at this point.

So I agee that the song skipping issue is network related, but something needs to be done in the new Sonos app to be more resilient to network issues. My Sonos 1, located in another house, never had this issue.

It sounds like you've made some progress by prioritizing your Sonos device on your Linksys router. Network prioritization can definitely help with performance. However, if you're still experiencing issues, it might be worth checking if there are any firmware updates for your Sonos devices or router. Sometimes, improvements in the software or firmware can resolve lingering issues. Also, consider reaching out to Sonos support for further troubleshooting if the problem persists.

What I would also suggest is, since your beam is only 3 feet from the router, connect it to the router with a cable to see if things improve further.

Check the Beams settings to ensure WIFI remains turned on.

This is just for troubleshooting, but if it solves your issue, consider making it permanent.

Ok, I ran the ethernet cable to the beam, and it did play non-stop without skipping for about an hour, until it suddenly stopped playing, and the app (Android) said “No devices connected”. I didn’t touch anything.

I guess that’s progress, but I can’t understand why it stopped, unless something goes to sleep.

Ok, I ran the ethernet cable to the beam, and it did play non-stop without skipping for about an hour, until it suddenly stopped playing, and the app (Android) said “No devices connected”. I didn’t touch anything.

I guess that’s progress, but I can’t understand why it stopped, unless something goes to sleep.

Try removing power from everything: router/network, and all Sonos devices. Wait 5 minutes. Clear cache on mobile app while waiting.

Then starting with the router, power it up and wait for it to fully boot. Then power on the Beam, then the other speakers. Leave the Beam hardwired and test again.

It still skips songs and stops playing altogether,  even connecting through a direct ethernet cable!

We started experiencing a similar issue today while playing a Sonos playlist containing songs from our music library (SMB share). It would play between one to five songs and then randomly stop and jump back to the beginning of the queue. We're using the Windows app to select playlists and manage queues, because the Android app doesn't recognise our music library and existing playlists. 

We haven’t changed anything in our Sonos hardware or home network setup for years, and all was working well before the recent firmware and app upgrades. Since then we have experienced a multitude of issues with the Android app, as reported ad nauseam here and elsewhere, but have still been able to play music from our music library using the Windows app. However, since today even that is no fun anymore.

If you submit diagnostics and call Sonos Support they will be more likely to put the problems on the fix soon list.