Answered

Sonos S1 Desktop Controller not displaying Connect Amp Gen 1

• 9 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge +2
  • Trending Lyricist II
  • 30 replies

So this is a weird annoying bug or issue. I have a sonos connect amp gen 1 and a few other sonos speakers. On the mobile app, it works just as expected, no issues.

However, in Windows (10), the s1 desktop controller lists all other speakers except the connect amp. If I group a speaker together with the connect amp, it also vanishes from the desktop controller, ungroup it, and it returns, instantly. It’s like once grouped, the desktop controller cant’ see it anymore.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Things I’ve tried that haven’t worked

1. Resetting the desktop controller
  2. Rebooting everything

On desktop:

On android.

When I ungroup.

Speakers:

Bedroom & Kitchen: Play 3 gen 1
Office: Play 5 gen 2
Living Room: Connect Amp gen 1

icon

Best answer by John B 18 December 2020, 21:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @kamau.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

To better understand what’s going on, kindly submit diagnostic reports through the Sonos app using different controllers (Android and desktop), when the issue occurs, and another one when  Amp is showing, then reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and go from there, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Let me know how that goes.

Badge +2

Hi, thanks for your reply.

WIndows Desktop controller diagnostics #: 1784952676 (Connect amp not listed, only other sonos speakers).

Android controller  diagnostic #: 1519516212 (all devices showing)

Thanks

John

Badge +2

Weird. After a windows update, the connect amp seems to have appeared. Will monitor and update this thread if it vanishes again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @kamau.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic reports, it shows that the Windows controller is not connected to the same WiFi network where Sonos and Android controller is connected. It's best if you can trigger another diagnostic while it is working and if in case it happens again, so we can further check and review your system.

Hopefully, the issue will not re-occur and if you have any questions and run into any issues, please let us know.

Badge +2

Hi,

I have submitted the diagnostic while the desktop controller is working. Diagnostic # 685651076

Let me explain my network. I have 2 routers, one from the ISP, and another regular off the shelf switch (ASUS) that is in Access Point mode.  The two are connected via ethernet. My PC is connected to the Asus switch via ethernet as well, while the sonos speakers are connected to the wifi network from the ISP. Hope this makes sense.

To function, all Sonos speakers and controllers must be on the same subnet.  So my best guess is that somehow you have two subnets and the ‘missing’ speaker is missing when it is connected to a different subnet from the controller.

Badge +2

Hi John B. 

They are on the same subnet. The missing speaker was only in the desktop controller. On phone, tablet etc it was visible etc. 

Probably just a temporary communications glitch on the desktop then.

Hi John B. 

They are on the same subnet. The missing speaker was only in the desktop controller. On phone, tablet etc it was visible etc. 

Is the Access point broadcasting the same SSID’s as the main router, are the passwords, Wifi channels and channel-width the same as the main router too?

Badge +2

Is the Access point broadcasting the same SSID’s as the main router, are the passwords, Wifi channels and channel-width the same as the main router too?

No, the access point’s SSID is different from the main one, also using a different channel from the main router. I think John B’s statement that it was probably a temporary glitch is the answer. Everything is working ok now.