Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos S1: Connect cuts out during play

• 6 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I recently moved house so my ISP, room layout, etc. are completely different than my old situation which worked perfectly. In my old house I never had trouble with my Sonos Connect (playing music from my NAS drive through my stereo). But in my new house the Connect is cutting out. My Sonos One’s and ZonePlayer S5 are playing fine and I have a 1GB broadband connection, so the problem is clearly with the Connect. My Sonos system consists of a Sonos Boost, 2 Sonos 1’s, the Sonos Connect, and a ZonePlayer S5. The Connect is accessing the system via the Boost (WM=0 for all Sonos components).

I can think of several possibilities:

(1) The satellite in my Orbi Mesh network is not carrying the signal properly. I would ideally like to use a wired connection to the closest satellite, but the satellite itself has problems when I move it close to my stereo. So it’s currently sitting on the other side of my living room.

(2) The Connect is ignoring the Orbi satellite and is trying to connect directly to the router since the Boost is connected by Ethernet to the router.

(3) The Connect is simply past it’s serviceable lifetime.

(4) something else?

Any thoughts which of these might be the problem and whether replacing the Connect with the Sonos Port would resolve this (or would I have the same problem with the Port)? As I slowly upgrade to S2, I wouldn’t mind upgrading to the Port *if that would solve my problem*. 

Thanks!

Hi @Sally_8,

I can see your reasoning in the possibilities you’ve thought of, as moving house can bring a myriad of issues or even bring issues to the forefront that were unknown previously.

If it’s just the Connect having issues, then we’ll want to look into a few things, such as: the distance from the Connect to the Boost/other Sonos units, or if there are any nearby sources of wireless interference. 

As a test, I’d suggest moving and wiring the Connect via Ethernet to see if that resolves the issue with it cutting out. You don’t have to keep it in that configuration, but it would be worth checking if that resolves it so we can troubleshoot in the right direction. Another test would be playing the Connect by itself as we’ll want to isolate the issue as much as possible.

It’s possible a Port would fix the issue; the Connect is a legacy device and depending on when you purchased it, it’s likely it’s not able to keep up with your newer products. However, I’d hold off on a new purchase for now until the issue is confirmed.

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much!

I *think* that I’ve now managed to resolve this (that tends to happen after giving up, querying others, and trying once again). I moved the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router (it and the Connect are both on the floor above my router). The Orbi satellite is now much farther from the Connect (2 rooms away), but seems to be doing well. So I think that my problem with the Connect was due to where I placed the satellite relative to the router rather than where the Orbi satellite was relative to the Connect. I suspect that the Port would be more robust yet, so if this doesn’t work, that will probably be my next Sonos purchase. (I also need to upgrade my ZonePlayer S5 in order to actually convert to Sonos S2.)

If the Connect starts acting up again (I’ve only tested it for an hour), I’ll try rigging something up to be able to test it using ethernet away from my stereo system (which is on a different floor on the other side of my house). I’m assuming that I can rig something up with a portable recorder for input and small computer speakers for output (with the proper converter jacks)? Thanks!

Hi @Sally_8,

It’s hard to tell in this scenario if the Orbi Satellite was too far from the router causing the mesh to underperform, or if the Connect was too close to the Orbi Satellite and was picking up interference from it. 

I’m happy to hear that moving the Satellite resolved your issue. I’d suggest keeping an eye on the system for now to make sure the Connect doesn’t drop out any more.

The portable recorder and computer speakers are fine for an Ethernet test if you have to move the Connect, but as it seems to be resolved, you don’t have to do that unless you notice any further issues.

Regarding upgrading your system, we have an upgrade programme that you can use to receive a discount on legacy or older model devices to help you move onto Sonos S2. If you haven’t used it, it would be worth checking out to upgrade your Connect and ZonePlayer.