Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos S1 App doesn't keep up with Spotify?.

• 27 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Just an observation.

The S1 app does not keep up with current song playing on S1 if you've invoked playback through Alexa.

Is this the same on S2?.

For me I have to kill the app and then restart for current song to be shown?.

On S2, the Spotify artwork is correct for the applicable track playing when initiated by Alexa. No need to refresh app.

I can’t imagine this being different on S1 by design, but don’t have an S1 system to check on.

Do you only have an issue with Spotify via Alexa? Does it refresh if using the Sonos app to start music?

This is half way through a Propellerheads song!. Spotify App will show current song (even though it's been played through Alexa Voice Control through a Sonos speaker).

Not really that fussed to fair but this is the latest 11.5 firmware update.

Hi @Keithmac 

Thanks for your post!

Does the issue persist after a reboot of every device involved - the players, the controller and the router? It sounds like communication between the app and the system isn’t what it could be.

I hope this helps.

It's not enough of an issue to faff around with to be honest.

I suppose only thing I can think of is Sonos is on 2.4gh and my phone normally connects to the 5ghz (both on same router).

Some routers apparently do display issues when transferring data from one band to the other. Although I’d say this would be the first that I’ve seen that would be “some of the data” rather than the more black and white “all of the data”.

Thinking about it, it can't be a phone connection issue as the Spotify App instantly shows what's playing, unless it's doing that not by polling the speakers but going through the cloud? (unlikely).

Nearly all my Sonos control is done by talking to the speakers (Alexa), just sometimes I like to know what song is playing if I've not heard it before. Can do that via Spotify so no worries.

Just had some trouble with my Move and checked broadcasts on 2.4gh and there is a LOT of SSIDs showing up.

May be better on 5ghz?. 

Thinking about it, it can't be a phone connection issue as the Spotify App instantly shows what's playing, unless it's doing that not by polling the speakers but going through the cloud? (unlikely).

Nearly all my Sonos control is done by talking to the speakers (Alexa), just sometimes I like to know what song is playing if I've not heard it before. Can do that via Spotify so no worries.

You can also ask Alexa what’s playing….