Sonos S1 App Caanot Find Sonos System Windows and Android

• 30 November 2020
  • 5 replies

I haven't used the Sonos app for a while as I have been playing from Spotify to the speakers so cannot really say with confidence how long this issue has been around.  However, since using the S1 app, so I suppose since march, it has not been able to find the Sonos system.  When attempting to connect to an existing system, it prompts me to press the mute and vol+ buttons, which I do, which the app recognises me doing, but after a couple of minutes of scanning, it fails to connect. On Android it tells me it has connected and returns back to the setup screen.

I have 4 1st gen play 5s which I have owned from new for around 9 years, one of which is connected via ethernet.

Spotify is still able to communicate with the devices when playing via my phone and recognises the stereo pair I have, so something is working, just the official app seems to struggle.

I noticed when logging into my Sonos account that the devices were last registered 14-16 march 2020 but not sure what that actually means.

Any help would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AndyBennett.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! 

I’d be glad to help you out.

To better understand what’s going on, kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may check this article that provides some steps to follow to get your app reconnected to your Sonos system.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi @Annazel S,

Thanks for the response.  I have again attempted to connect my controller to an existing system, however, it failed as before.  This time I have submitted a diagnostics report from the Windows controller with confirmation number 1419251064.

Many thanks,

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AndyBennett.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

How many devices/controllers are unable to connect to your Sonos system?

If this is happening on iOS specifically on iOS14+, ensure to enable local network permission, here’s how:

• Navigate to Settings > Sonos.
  • Toggle Local Network On image.png

Kindly try to obtain a diagnostic from the controller experiencing the issue. Normal menu directions do not apply when in this state, usually, there will be a More Options button, then Submit Diagnostics.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi @AndyBennett.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

How many devices/controllers are unable to connect to your Sonos system?

If this is happening on iOS specifically on iOS14+, ensure to enable local network permission, here’s how:

• Navigate to Settings > Sonos.
  • Toggle Local Network On image.png

Kindly try to obtain a diagnostic from the controller experiencing the issue. Normal menu directions do not apply when in this state, usually, there will be a More Options button, then Submit Diagnostics.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi @Annazel S

This question doesn’t relate to iOS but Windows and Android.  The diagnostic was obtained from the Windows controller.  I am unable to attach either controller to my existing system, hence, the confirmation code is from a troublesome controller.

Thanks,

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AndyBennett.

Thanks for your response and for the additional information.

I can verify from the same diagnostic report that there are no controllers connected although the Sonos components total of 4 Play: 5s (Gen 1) are all showing online.

If all the common fixes advised in the article don’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting would be a great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.