Skip to main content

Hi,

have a question and I hope that someone has a similar setup and can confirm something for me.

I have Beam and two ONEs as surrounds. I also have Audio Technica turntable with built in preamp and BT. Firstly I planned to buy two ERA speakers and connect turntable directly to those ERAs (as line in is off when in surround mode) but I connected turntable through ROAMs BT and then grouped with surround. Sound was beautiful.

So now I would like to buy PORT, connect turntable to PORT and set autoplay to BEAM with surround. Would this autoplay feature work or is it, by some strange reason, disabled then?

I suppose that regarding TV it either has priority or who ever comes last to BEAM, but that is irrelevant as TV would be of when listening to records.

many thnx for help

Once the line in is in the Sonos ecosystem via the Port, you can direct it to any (or all) of your Sonos ‘rooms’. 

Thnx I understand that. Question is can I set autoplay to surround speakers. This is important as other household members could then just turn on turntable, put in a record and listen to it on BEAm with surrounds without doing anything through Sonos app.

Turntable would just always play on surround as soon it is turned on.

thnx

Surround speakers are not a ‘room’, so no. You could set up auto play to send to the home theater room which contains those surround speakers, but you’d also be getting sound from the associated sound bar, and any Sub in that room. 

And things might get ‘janky’ when someone is trying to watch TV and then the turntable is turned on. I’m sure there’s a programmatic priority, I just don’t know off hand which might take precedence. My gut says the TV input, but I can’t currently test…and it might just be ‘the most recent’…

If you really want the turntable to send to two Era speakers without including others, those Era speakers need to be their own ‘room’, and not part of another.

No, i want just that what you said. By surround I was meaning BEAM plus two ONEs. So I think you answered my question.

Many thnx

I think I see the confusion.

OP wants the Port’s Line-In to autoplay to the room comprising the Beam and surrounds (which it definitely will).

This is entirely different from the physical Line input on compatible speakers being disabled when they’re configured as surrounds. 

Yes exactly.