Answered

Sonos Port (Streamer) + Turntable/CD Player + Preamp + Amp?

• 9 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a Port (using as my streamer), a turntable, a CD player, and a power amplifier. I want to include a preamplifier in my set-up. How do I make the appropriate connections?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 11 March 2024, 11:46

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Hopsngrains, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Is there something that you’re looking to use the pre-amp for specifically or is there an issue with your current setup? If you can give more details on your system with makes and models, the community and I can give suggestions on what to adjust and whether or not you’d need a pre-amp.

With Sonos, you’d usually see a phono pre-amp used between a device with line-in (the Port in your case) and a turntables that doesn’t have a built in phono pre-amp, otherwise standalone pre-amps aren’t used or mentioned on the community, at least from what I can see.

In your case, you’d put the pre-amp between the Port and the power amplifier, like so: Line Level signal (Port) → Pre-Amp → third-party Power Amp → third-party Speakers. You wouldn’t need a pre-amp if you were using a Sonos Amp, as you could replace the Port in your system with it, where you would connect your line-in devices to the Amp and swap what is connected to your power amplifier to the left and right speaker terminals.

I hope this information helps!