Skip to main content

Hey guys,

I’ve recently bought a marantz amp for my home theatre surround sound (passive, non Sonos) and a port to get Sonos in the room. I’ve plugged the Sonos rcas from out on the port into cd in on the marantz and have no sound. 

sonos port is connected fine and shows it’s playing. It’s playing in other zones fine. Volume output I’ve tried fixed, variable and pass through…. 

also have sound through tv input on the marantz which is fine..

any other tips 🙏🙏?

cheers

jon

On the Marantz amp do you have the Port's connection selected? Which input have you used? 

What is the music source for the Port's room?

Which model MARANTZ?

Set the volume on the Port to Fixed.

sorted! So the input on the marantz SR5015 the port was plugged into was set to digital but I was using rca’s. 

next query tho, is it possible to turn on Sonos and have the amp change to the correct input? I know this might be more relative to the marantz but I’ll try my luck! 

🙏🙏

Sometimes video sources can support auto input selection on HDMI inputs, but this is not a typical integrated amplifier feature on analog inputs.

Sometimes video sources can support auto input selection on HDMI inputs, but this is not a typical integrated amplifier feature on analog inputs.

I don’t fully understand what yours suggesting sorry Buzz.. can you clarify pls? Are you saying I could use a hdmi input on the Marantz? What cable would I use if the port out only has analogue or optical?

On HDMI ports in addition to the obvious video and audio signals, there are also some control channels. “CEC” (Consumer Electronic Control) allows units to send operational commands to each other. The goal is to allow the user to drop a disc into a player and have the player notify the other units. The TV and/or receiver will then turn ON, and select the correct input. If the user later turns ON the cable box, it will play.

On simple audio only devices, such as an integrated amplifier or PORT that use only RCA connections (left and right audio), there is no control information path. On some high end models, such as SONOS units with a Line-In, the audio gear can detect a signal and switch to that input, perhaps a turntable. On a SONOS controller this is known as Autoplay. 

Unfortunately, there is opportunity for mischief on CEC. That’s why there are numerous Community discussions about awkward events. One of my favorite’s is the middle of the night cable box update pushed by the cable company. At the end of the update, the cable company will turn ON the cable box. CEC interprets this as a request to watch TV and the customer is blasted out of bed.

On HDMI ports in addition to the obvious video and audio signals, there are also some control channels. “CEC” (Consumer Electronic Control) allows units to send operational commands to each other. The goal is to allow the user to drop a disc into a player and have the player notify the other units. The TV and/or receiver will then turn ON, and select the correct input. If the user later turns ON the cable box, it will play.

On simple audio only devices, such as an integrated amplifier or PORT that use only RCA connections (left and right audio), there is no control information path. On some high end models, such as SONOS units with a Line-In, the audio gear can detect a signal and switch to that input, perhaps a turntable. On a SONOS controller this is known as Autoplay. 

Unfortunately, there is opportunity for mischief on CEC. That’s why there are numerous Community discussions about awkward events. One of my favorite’s is the middle of the night cable box update pushed by the cable company. At the end of the update, the cable company will turn ON the cable box. CEC interprets this as a request to watch TV and the customer is blasted out of bed.

Thanks for your detailed response buzz. So sounds like it’s not possible with the current setup. Unfortunately the sonos amp didn’t quite suit my wharfedale speakers hence i got the Marantz.. I do have a sonos amp in another room tho..

Someone else suggested automation which I might look into…

Very randomly and coincidentally that last paragraph you mentioned with tvs turning on happened to my mum last week and now it makes sense!!

thanks for your guidance

Jon

Very randomly and coincidentally that last paragraph you mentioned with tvs turning on happened to my mum last week and now it makes sense!!

A strategy for dealing with this is to reduce the Volume to zero as you shut down for the night. I know that this is a pain, but it will become routine after a while. There are settings that MAY block this turn ON. If these fail there are little dongles that can block CEC and prevent this early morning TV session, but it will also block the TV from sending Volume commands. A work around for this block would be to configure the soundbar to respond to IR commands.

sorted! So the input on the marantz SR5015 the port was plugged into was set to digital but I was using rca’s. 

next query tho, is it possible to turn on Sonos and have the amp change to the correct input? I know this might be more relative to the marantz but I’ll try my luck! 

🙏🙏

I’m having trouble with my set up. I have an SR5015 and trying to connect to Sonos Five to use my turntable. I’m plugged into pre-out (tried front and zone 2 ins but no sound. Thoughts? How do you change ports from digital as you mentioned?

Also see your own topic in