Answered

SONOS Port - how to connect HIFI Amplifier as source

• 28 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

I have a SONOS port + Cambridge Audio Amplifier (Azur) that doesn’t have any digital output, only RCA’s.

SONOS Port works well for:

• broadcasting Streaming music to Cambridge amplifier and play on my good old passive speakers
  • connecting CD player or other sources (turntables) to SONOS Port and broadcasting on other SONOS products at home

However, I had hoped I could use my amplifier as a source to SONOS PORT (via the RCA Record output of the Cambridge Audio amplifier)  so that I can use my old audio sources (CD, turntables, tapes, radio, etc) and broadcast to my other SONOS products but that doesn’t seem to work.

Any hint/help please?

Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by PerA 28 March 2023, 15:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

What exactly doesn’t seem to work?  You said that the Port outputs audio to your amp, and that it inputs audio from your CD player, etc to the Sonos system just fine.  What else are you expecting the Port to do?

The Port only has a single RCA input, so if you want audio from the amp to input to the Port, you’ll have to disconnect other sources or use an RCA switch. What connection are you using to output audio from amp to Port?  Looking at a pic of your amp, I would guess ‘Preamp output’, but you’d need to confirm with the manual or test it out. Probably some setting you need the turn on to send audio to that as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a Sonos Connect (predecessor of Port) and a Cambridge Azur amp. I use the rec out from the Cambridge to the RCA input on the Sonos Connect and it works as you intend. The Cambridge functions as a sort of hub i.e. I have my vinyl record player and CD player connected to the Cambridge amp and whichever source I choose on the Cambridge source selector will be put out also through the rec out to the Sonos Connect. In the Sonos app I can choose the “line in” as a source in the section of the app where you browse for music sources. 

Maybe we can help you figure out what’s wrong if you describe exactly how you have connected your port to your Cambridge Amp. 

I have a Sonos Connect (predecessor of Port) and a Cambridge Azur amp. I use the rec out from the Cambridge to the RCA input on the Sonos Connect and it works as you intend. The Cambridge functions as a sort of hub i.e. I have my vinyl record player and CD player connected to the Cambridge amp and whichever source I choose on the Cambridge source selector will be put out also through the rec out to the Sonos Connect. In the Sonos app I can choose the “line in” as a source in the section of the app where you browse for music sources. 

Maybe we can help you figure out what’s wrong if you describe exactly how you have connected your port to your Cambridge Amp. 

Thanks for this. I have modified the setup and it works now.  I have indeed used the record’ output of the Amplifier to go to the Port input. The Port output has to go to the ‘Tape in’ input of the Cambridge amplifier. Only this combination makes it working and I can play music simultaneously on all SONOS speakers and on the legacy HIFI speakers, with no delay. Thanks again for the help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for this. I have modified the setup and it works now.  I have indeed used the record’ output of the Amplifier to go to the Port input. The Port output has to go to the ‘Tape in’ input of the Cambridge amplifier. Only this combination makes it working and I can play music simultaneously on all SONOS speakers and on the legacy HIFI speakers, with no delay. Thanks again for the help.

Yes, thanks for the feedback! I forgot to share the info about using the tape input for the Port output. Actually I am a little surprised Sonos does not advertise this feature of the Port/Connect clearer (the tape loop setup). It is a great setup in the way how to integrate the Port with an old school stereo amp and how it eliminates the possible weakness that the Port only have one analog input. 

Another advice might be to turn of the autoplay function for the port (at least the connect has that option) in the Sonos app to prevent it from always streaming to your other sonos devices when the needle of the turntable hits the vinyl. At least for me this was the best setup, if I want to stream the TT to the other Sonos devices I choose them actively in the app.