Answered

Sonos Port, DAC, CD player and turntable

• 14 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a seemingly silly question, but after reading several posts, I’m still rather confused.

I have an existing Sonos system which consists of a multitude of Play:1’s, a Play:3, and a 5.1 setup with a Playbar and Sub. I now want to add a turntable and maybe a CD player (yes, I have streaming, I know how to rip, etc).

I’ve been looking at a Sonos Port, and I know I need a turntable with a pre-amp (internal or external) to hook it up.

When it comes to the CD player, I’m confused. I know it needs an analog (RCA) output to connect it to the port, and I’ll need a switch as the Port has only one set of RCA inputs (anything to pay attention to when buying one?). But which DAC is used when I’d play CD audio? The one from the CD unit, or the Port? I would assume the former (because of the analog connection to the Port). If so, what’s the purpose of the DAC in the Port? Is it only when using it e.g. with AirPlay?

One last question on the topic of the CD player: I’m browsing the second hand listings to find a unit (doesn’t matter much if it’s a bit older I think, as long as it still works and ideally been serviced recently). If anyone has particular brands to look for, or to avoid for whatever reason, I’m all ears.

Thank you for any and all feedback!

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by John B 14 January 2023, 15:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi.  As to why the Port needs a DAC, the initial answer is that the line-in on a Port is just an auxiliary feature.  The Port is designed to convert a traditional amp and speakers into a Sonos player.  So it needs a DAC for all the sources that any Sonos speaker would need a DAC - streaming, local library, Airplay etc.

But in fact it needs a DAC for the line in too, as the analog line-iin input is converted to digital, then output as digital if the Port’s digital output is used, and to distribute to any other devices in the Sonos system.  The Port’s DAC would be used if the Port’s analog output is used.

If you were playing your CD player to your Playbar, the DAC in the CD player would be used, then the ADC in the Port, then the DAC in the Playbar.

Hope that makes some sense.

PS - I have always thought that a Five was much better value as a way of getting a line-in, as you get a great speaker into the bargain.