Skip to main content

I have a Marantz nr1609 with a turntable and CD player.   I have no traditional speakers. 

I have the Sonos Arc, 2 Sonos Gen3 subs and a pair of Sonos ones as my rear surrounds.  I will replace the rears with eras at some point.  

I would like to play audio sources (CDs, Vinyl, and even AM/FM) hooked up to the receiver through the Sonos speakers and I fear I bought the wrong Sonos device.  

I have experimented with all sorts of hook ups and I am either very obtuse or I bought the wrong device (Port).   

Does anyone have this setup or similar and can you guide me to the proper hook up, if any?  I have analog cables, I have a coax/digital cable and I have optical cables if needed. 

I searched and found many hooking up Sonos to tape monitor  - which I dont have   

picture of back plane attached  

thanks for any advice   If my receiver isn’t capable, what should I be looking for in a receiver to make this happen  

thanks in advance 

I think you have the wrong receiver, not the wrong Sonos device. I see no outputs other than zone 2. So, if I remember the post earlier this week, you’d want to set the zone 2 output to fixed, and connect the line in on the Sonos Port to the Zone 2 output. That should, I think, get the output from the Denon into the Sonos ecosystem, and allow you to play it on any of your Sonos speakers. 

Also know that with a fixed level audio output for the Zone 2 you’ll only be able to adjust the audio level to Sonos via the Sonos app or directly at the Sonos speaker which is the Arc. 

The Zone 2 looks like the only analogue out on this receiver. Since you do not mention wanting to play Sonos sources on the Marantz, only Marantz sources on the Sonos, this should work.

Not sure why you bought a receiver if you have no passive speakers attached, though. Using a receiver as a glorified analogue switch seems somewhat wasteful to me. Why did you buy the Marantz when a switch (and maybe a pre-amp if the turntable needs it) would suffice?

Until very recently there were no HDMI switches with an HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC output. It seemed wasteful, but the easiest  path was using an inexpensive receiver as an HDMI switch.

The Zone 2 looks like the only analogue out on this receiver. Since you do not mention wanting to play Sonos sources on the Marantz, only Marantz sources on the Sonos, this should work.

Not sure why you bought a receiver if you have no passive speakers attached, though. Using a receiver as a glorified analogue switch seems somewhat wasteful to me. Why did you buy the Marantz when a switch (and maybe a pre-amp if the turntable needs it) would suffice?

It’s a left over receiver from my old surround sound system and moreover, the arc plus 2 subs exceeded my expectations so much I decided I would take the non standard imaging issues pumping music through the arc rather than have all this old crap taking up space and wires everywhere.  

I am a Sonos believer now.  Anxious to get the eras for my rear surrounds to see if overhead imaging is better than the Ones 

There’s both an elegance and simplicity in use of Sonos, however you have to make some sacrifices. They’re not infinitely capable, oddly enough ;)

Ah, right. You bought the Marantz first. Will you let us know if the Zone 2 option works for you?

Playing Phono through Zone2 should work fine after you work through the Volume control wars. One nag that may bite is that some older receivers will not convert a digital input to analog. This means that Phono or Tuner will pass through, but audio from a digital cable feed will not pass through.