Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 disconnected and will not reconnect

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’ve got two play 5s in stereo and they have been working flawlessly for a month.

Now the right speaker disconnected and I cannot get it to reconnect whatever I do.

I’ve tried factory resetting, connecting to the router, everything.

The app gets as far as seeing there is a new speaker, when I press the button on the back, I hear the chime but then it says ‘error not connected’.

Every time.

Diagnostic 1423631518

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 2 March 2020, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Try wiring it directly to your router with an ethernet cable. If it shows up then, run another diagnostic, and either call Sonos, or post that number here. If it’s not connecting, Sonos can’t see if there’s a hardware issue in the speaker. 

@Andrewnoob Thank you for bringing your concerns with your Play:5 Gen 2 to us here. Please know that we would not suggest a factory reset as a recommended step for troubleshooting unless you are directed to on a call, or in an email or in a posted step to take from the Community.

If the Play:5 is having wireless connection issues and it has been factory rest it would not setup properly. This also could point towards network equipment that can cause issues for Sonos when trying to setup into a new or existing system.

I can see a history of your submitted diagnostics showing communication issues for Sonos, very likely from tiredness affecting performance. I would suggest that you follow Bruce’s suggestion of temporarily Ethernet wiring this Play:5 after taking these steps:

1. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they are powering on then power off/on all of your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights, also you can Ethernet wire the factory reset Play:5 the router during these steps
  3. As they are powering on the re-boot your device(s) running the Sonos app.

The above steps will give you a refreshed network and Sonos products to connect into in the Sonos app. Look in the rooms tab first and make sure you see all of your re-booted Sonos products before you attempt to add the Play:5 back when it is Ethernet wired to the router or unmanaged switch from your router.

After you get the Play:5 added back to the system please follow up here with an updated diagnostic report and report number here with the Play:5 still wired to the network after the setup.

If you cannot get the Play:5 set back up and get a diagnostic report after the above steps then please call in and speak with a live agent using this link here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I managed to set it up as new while connected to Ethernet. But then as soon as I put it where I need it it appears as ? In sterep pair and doesn't work. It's not an option to have it wired up in the position that I need it to be. 

Diagnostic 1184614253

I'll try the steps above but I have reset my router tonight amongst trying everything. 

@Andrewnoob Thank you for bringing your concerns with your Play:5 Gen 2 to us here. Please know that we would not suggest a factory reset as a recommended step for troubleshooting unless you are directed to on a call, or in an email or in a posted step to take from the Community.

If the Play:5 is having wireless connection issues and it has been factory rest it would not setup properly. This also could point towards network equipment that can cause issues for Sonos when trying to setup into a new or existing system.

I can see a history of your submitted diagnostics showing communication issues for Sonos, very likely from tiredness affecting performance. I would suggest that you follow Bruce’s suggestion of temporarily Ethernet wiring this Play:5 after taking these steps:

1. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they are powering on then power off/on all of your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights, also you can Ethernet wire the factory reset Play:5 the router during these steps
  3. As they are powering on the re-boot your device(s) running the Sonos app.

The above steps will give you a refreshed network and Sonos products to connect into in the Sonos app. Look in the rooms tab first and make sure you see all of your re-booted Sonos products before you attempt to add the Play:5 back when it is Ethernet wired to the router or unmanaged switch from your router.

After you get the Play:5 added back to the system please follow up here with an updated diagnostic report and report number here with the Play:5 still wired to the network after the setup.

If you cannot get the Play:5 set back up and get a diagnostic report after the above steps then please call in and speak with a live agent using this link here.

@Andrewnoob  If you were able to setup the Play:5 when it was Ethernet wired and then it did not connect in the the Sonos when you moved it and then sent us the diagnostic we are not getting the needed data from the troubled Play:5 in the new diagnostic report number.

Please follow the previous steps with keeping the Play:5 temporarily Ethernet wired to the router. When you have done this step, then look in the rooms tab in the Sonos app next to browse and confirm you see the recently setup Play:5 in the rooms tab and then submit us a new diagnostic report and reply with that report number here.

If you cannot see the recently setup Play:5 in the Sonos app when it is Ethernet wired please call in for live agent assistance.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok I get you. I'll do it tomorrow. Thank you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok it's wired to the router and connected in a stereo pair. It's the left speaker in the pair. 

Diagnostic 1030509367

Is the WiFi card borked?

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Oh yeah I unplugged everything for 20 minutes earlier before trying and it was still not detected so I connected to router and submitted diagnostic. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

As soon as I unplugged the Ethernet it's not on the system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok, I called in and they diagnosed a faulty wifi card. Replacement on the way :)

@Andrewnoob Glad to hear the issue is now known and being resolved for you. Reach out to us here in the future with any new questions or troubleshooting needs.

Diagnostics number is 441530549.

Play 5 Gen 2 Right of stereo lost and unable to connect to wifi even after power cycle all modems, routers and speakers.

Play 5 Gen 2 Right of stereo lost and unable to connect to wifi even after power cycle all modems, routers and speakers.

Have you perhaps tried unpairing the two speakers to see if both then work standalone? If they do work, then try repairing them again and see what happens after that.

Have you perhaps tried unpairing the two speakers to see if both then work standalone? If they do work, then try repairing them again and see what happens after that.

Will i lose trueplay if i unpair and repair?

Will i lose trueplay if i unpair and repair?

Yes, you would need to retune after re-pairing them, that’s if the suggestion gets them working.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Ken_Griffiths, thank you for your continuous assistance. We really appreciate all your help.

@Loba, thanks for reaching out to us and for providing the diagnostic. It looks like there's something wrong with the wireless card on your Sonos Play 5, hardware failure has been detected. It would be best to reach out to our phone support team who can take over from here. Let us know if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.