Sonos One - Music voice cut

• 31 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I have been using Sonos One since 6 months without any problem. I started have a problem 2 weeks ago when I moved to a new flat and had to reset all the settings. I configured the device from the scratch and all looking good in terms of configuration. I use Spotify as a music service, I play music from my iPhone and send it to the device via Airplay. The problem is when I play a song after a while the device doesn’t seem to playing that song because I don’t hear anything however when I check the Spotify I see that actually the song is being played, and after like 10 seconds I start to hear the song again. So as a result I am experiencing some voice cut during the play.

The router is located in the next room (almost same distance that I had in my old flat) and the device has a good coverage of WiFi signal. I use my iPhone, iPad, Macbook and smart TV in the same room, even far from the router and I don’t see any problem. I bought a WiFi repeater and put it almost next to the Sonos one and repeater shows perfect signal quality but I still have the problem. 

Any idea?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @semanful.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Is this only happening on Spotify music service and Airplay?

Have you tried other music services and playing it within the Sonos app to see if the same issue will be observed?

It is very important to correctly determine the cause of the audio interruptions, as there are many potential causes like wireless interference, gateway issue, source issue, service issue, etc.

You may check this article that provides common fixes for audio interruptions while playing from a music service on Sonos. 

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report when it happens, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for your reply, normally I use only Spotify as a music service but I followed your advice and tried Amazon music however the issue seems to happening with Amazon as well.

I further analyzed the issue and it looks like there is a miscommunication between Spotify and Sonos device, during the problem I see that song is playing on Spotify and when I check from Sonos app I see that it is trying to play the song, even I see 2-3 seconds the song is playing but then it stops. I recorded a screen play video that you can see in the following link and I submitted a diagnostics, the number is 1935158127. 

Video: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @semanful.

Thanks for your patience on this.

Upon reviewing the diagnostic, the system detected errors, bad cloud health, or weak connection and symptoms indicative of wireless interference.

You mentioned using a ‘repeater’, can you try to turn the device off temporarily and check if the problem will persist?

I recommend following the steps in this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos product(s), but if it doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully. 

• Please provide the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network.  It’s best if we can check any known issues or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

• If you are using a local WiFi network with more than one WiFi hub or access point, you can try to switch your system to SonosNet by wiring Sonos device to your primary WiFi hub or router, which begins the WiFi network. Attempt music playback, wait for about 3 minutes, then submit a new diagnostic so we can observe for changes.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for the recommendations, first of all after not seeing any improvements with the repeater I stop using it in my network after my first message, so it was not installed when I sent the diagnostics.

I checked the article and linked videos about the wireless interference, my router configuration was “auto” and it was picked channel “6” now I changed it to “11” and I will be testing this and let you know if I see any improvements.  

I use only one router in my network and you can see the device information below, Sonos is connected to the WiFi network, I don’t use wired connection. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @semanful.

Thanks for your response and update.

I appreciate your patience in working through this. I agree and I can see on the diagnostic that the player is connected to your WiFi network hence, the iOS controller’s WiFi connection shows ‘unknown’, it seems to be connected to a different network but with exactly the same SSID/ WiFi name. 

• You can check this by selecting Settings > WiFi on your mobile device and ensure that it is connected to the right network. 
  • If you’re using a 5ghz band, ensure the SSID name is different from the 2.4ghz SSID and set its channel width to no more than 40MHz.

Alternatively, you may reach out to Sonos Support, so we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process. I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.