Sonos not connecting to Spotify.

• 23 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I don’t know if this is relevant, but I recently upgraded from an iPhone 8 and to an iPhone 12 and have yet to use my Sonos via my new phone because of the problem outlined below. I never had this problem with my old phone.

I have Spotify Premium. Both iOS and MacOS Spotify apps recognize my Sonos Play:1 but will not play through the Play:1 speakers. When I try to connect to the device from the Spotify apps, I get an endless “connection” animation but nothing happens. In MacOS, if I hover over the connection animation I see the message “Spotify is not active on this device”, meaning the Sonos speaker. In the Sonos 2 app (originally encountered this issue in the Sonos 1 app before thinking an upgrade to Sonos 2 would resolve the issue) I can see all of my Spotify songs, etc. I can log in to Spotify just fine. However, when I tap a song to play I get the following error message: “Unable to play [song name]  - the connection to Spotify was lost.” It then skips to the next song and the same error message pops up ad infinitum. 

I have tried rebooting the speaker and my router several times, removing Spotify from the Sonos app and reconnecting it, and even a factory reset. Nothing works. I called Sonos customer service and he couldn’t resolve the issue through troubleshooting (which was basically what I had already done). He basically said Sonos could replace it if the speaker was within warranty, but it’s not as I bought this back in 2015. 

So now I’m stuck. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the speaker itself. I know it’s kind of old but I’ve never had a problem with it until now. I can play music using other services within the Sonos app, just not Spotify. Anyone else encounter this and found a reliable solution? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @twv3, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your Sonos system. For us to further check the current status of your system,  please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause of this issue. 

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information.

Hi @Simon B, I have a case number because I tried to resolve this issue last night with a customer service agent. It’s 02551018 or 0251018 (not sure which is right because he told me one number over the phone and sent another via email). I just submitted a new diagnostic and the number is 1916121851. One new thing I’ve done since my original post is to connect my Sonos via ethernet. Still having the same problem with a wired connection. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @twv3  thanks for the update. Upon checking on the case number that you provided. It was escalated already to our higher Tier of support. And the diagnostics still shows that there are issues with your Sonos Play 1. Have they contacted you?

Keep me in the know with the advice above. We're here to answer any further questions you have.