Sonos Move Chirping

Badge

Hey guys, I am having troubles with my Sonos Move “chirping” or “audio clipping” every couple minutes when playing music on YouTube Music. It sounds awful when it happens and its always louder than the music. I’ve heard some other people on here have had the same issues but on other products and the blame always gets put on the TV its connected to.

Well I’ve contacted Sonos and they just keep saying, “We’ll keep an eye on the issue and fix it on the next software update.”

It’s been driving me NUTS the past couple days and I can’t seem to wait it out till it stops.

Has anyone else had the same isses with their Sonos products chirping? (AND NOT CONNECTED THROUGH HDMI ARC)

And if so, has there been a way to get around it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @trolotroy, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

The Sonos Move Chirping? That is alarming; does it also occur when playing music through the Sonos app?

To clarify as well, how do you set up the Move to your TV. do you use Bluetooth? Airplay?

Have you tried other devices to connect to the Move? does the chirping still occur?

I understand that Sonos Arc needs an update and we have an on-going investigation on that issue, but the Sonos Move? 

Audio distortion can be a sign of a hardware failure. Take a diagnostic from the Sonos app as well, so we can take a look at your Sonos system.

Setting > Help & TIps > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation.

Update us with your findings.

Badge

Yeah, YouTube Music only streams through Sonos’s app. The chirping happens when its just streaming through Wifi. No connection to the TV whatsoever. On Bluetooth, there are no issues. Yes, it has happened on my Ikea Symphonisks before too so it is a network-wide issue for sure. No speaker issues according to the last diagnostic I pulled from the system. They didn’t catch any wifi interference either but I upgraded to a Wifi 6 router just in case. Still didn’t help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @trolotroy, thank you for the update.

I see you contacted our Phone support and they haven’t found any anomaly in the system.

Since you mention you upgraded to a new router, can you post the model of it? this is to check for any known issues with it.

As well as the diagnostic confirmation you took. So we can also check the Sonos system.

if you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

Doesn’t seem to matter what router I have. My speakers will chirp no matter what given the right circumstances. Had 2 Cox routers. One newer “Panoramic” modem/Wifi point and then one generic. The one I am using now is the Linksys - Max-Stream AX1800.

I’m willing to bet at this point that it is more of a Google server issue and how Sonos talks to them. Haven’t had any other issues from Soundcloud or Spotify. I had weird chirping on my Sonos Beam back when I was using Google Play Music as well.

It could also be linked to Cox Communications and the speed fluctuations they seem to get away with. But with all the troubleshooting I’ve gone through with you guys and nothing coming from it, I am left to speculating other parts of the system that may not get reported with the built-in diagnostic tools. I sent in a video to your support team as well showing the issue happening almost every 10 seconds which is more on the rare side. In that case as well, they saw nothing happening with their diag tools.

I love the speakers when they don’t chirp but when they chirp, it makes music unbearable.

Something to note too is that the chirping never happens when watching TV. Only streaming Google services.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @trolotroy, thank you for the update.

Interesting observation, did the Phone support escalated the issue? our Engineers would need to look into this issue.

You could also check with Google since it only happens with their Music services.

This a very unique issue, chirping only happens when using Google services while the other audio sources are fine.

The next step I could’ve thought of is getting your case escalated.

In any case, If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I’m having the same problem (chirping and clipping) with my Connect. I have also done a bit of troubleshooting, including swapping to a different Connect. Was there ever a resolution for @trolotroy?

Badge

Hi, @Kyclist & @Kyle A 

It did well for a month or so, but the chirp came back to say hello yesterday on my Move... Everything stays updated automatically so maybe the new 12.2 update re-introduced it. Who knows at this point...

Badge

Same issue here, chirping and clipping while using YouTube music. 

Happens on two of my Sonos Connects updated and running Sonos S2.

It happened several months ago when I had all three of Google Play Msic, YouTube Music, and Spotify access.  Playing through all three in turn, YouTube music was the only one with the issue.  On the same day, during the same minute, testing between all three, GPM and Spotify were flawless while YTM was chirping a lot.

It magically went away for a few months but has now returned. 

I'm confident that dent that it is something to do with YouTube Music and the way it connects to Sonos.  Not my network, it's been happening on my older Netgear R7000 router, and also on my updated setup using a much more capable Ubiquiti UDM Pro with a Ubiquiti Pro access point.  I'm on a fiber connection to my ISP, low latency pings, high data rates.

My UDM pro provides lots of diagnostics on my wired and wireless clients, no issues to note.  I also hear zero issues when playing files from my local server.

The issue is isolated to streaming from YTM.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is related to some sort of Google intentional sabotage, they are evil.  Expect zero help from Google, they don't care about customers concerns. 

The only hope is that Sonos can see from their end what might be happening and mitigate a solution. 

Or, maybe again it's time to just give up on YTM and go to Spotify.  I'd really place the blame on Google as it is only an issue with their service, but I hope that Sonos can help find the root cause as it is widely known that Google wint help with anything. 

I'm having this same issue using a Connect, a Connect:Amp, and a gen 1 Play:5

Only does it using YouTube music, GPM never gave me any issues. Does not do it when streaming from Sonos radio, or Plex, or from device.

Intermittent chirp/high pitched static lasting like 1/4 second or less. 

Without a diagnostic submitted to Sonos after an occurrence, and contacting them with the specifics, it will be hard to get any sort of resolution. It’s hard to reproduce an anecdote. 

Badge

Diagnostics report 267875951

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TheSquid,

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this. The diagnostic shows audio dropout due to sync errors, audio playback failure due to transport errors, and faulty ethernet cable on family room Connect. These errors might be causing the issue. To further assist you on this, I'd recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out.

Badge

Same issue. Just submitted a ticket with audio sample. My take on it is the API for YouTube Music. I didn’t have the issue before with google play musci. I don’t have any issue listening to same play list from a web browser or any songs played from my local music library.

Ticket number: 02729032

New Recording.m4a (audio sample from Move):

- Paired : Dining Room - Play 5 and Move
- chirping : Between - 2m56s and 3m00s

New Recording 5.m4a (audio sample from Bathroom Play 1):

- Paired : Dining Room(Play 5), Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bathroom(Play 1), Master Bedroom(Play 1), Bathroom(Play 1), Move
- chirping : Between - 4m20s and 4m30s

Same issue here on my play 5.  been happening for a while now.  Driving me nuts!  diagnostics confirmation number 1471567003, ticket number 02748529

I get the with all my YTM, using a variety of Sonos speakers. 

It's always in same spots and only in certain songs. One song I play over and over has 6 chirps. And the album Roisin Machine by Roisin Murphy is chirpy town, chock full o’ chirps.