SONOS is terrible

• 23 October 2022
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 2

I changed my router a year ago and Sonos has never worked properly since. I had to constantly re-connect the speakers and find the system over and over again. I found the support from Sonos non-existent. I have now got a new Router and went through ALL the steps to connect my four Sonos speakers last night. We enjoyed an evening of music on all of them and then, this morning, my Sonos App could not find the system and none of the speakers and now won’t connect with any of them.

Basically, Sonos sucks. I’m switching to Alexa or just a simple Bluetooth speaker that I carry from room to room.

Thanks for wasting thousands of $$ Sonos and providing no help at all.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Badge +20

You replaced your router twice and blame Sonos… go figure.

Userlevel 7

Just a thought. Your new routers are terrible.

Also, if you spent thousands of $$$ on FOUR Sonos speakers, you were robbed.

It's a shame that you waited until today to join the Community, and then just to complain.  Would it not have been better to have joined earlier and sought help?

That's if there is a word of truth in your post.

Just a thought. Your new routers are terrible.

Also, if you spent thousands of $$$ on FOUR Sonos speakers, you were robbed.

Especially as, according to your profile, you have Play:1s.

Anybody else thinking that the OP ‘likely’ bought the exact same router as the previous one that didn’t work ha ha 😂?

What has happened to the days when people provided at least a little bit of helpful/realistic information in their posts, when trolling?

A full year of alleged problems, thousands of $$$ spent, but only now joins the community to complain and has just an old Play:1 listed in their profile that was discontinued in 2017. 

Would you ever buy a used router from this person ha ha?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

My Sonos Roam got ruined after 14.19 update, Airplay and Bluetooth cutting out, and rear button for Bluetooth not working properly. I don’t really understand why Sonos is blaming our network set ups in stead of  apologize and fix the software, a Wonderboom2 360 audio Waterproof  Bluetooth speaker plays more reliable than the Sonos Roam, incredible how a brand blames our networks in stead of fixing their products that just stop working without any apparent reason 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, a bit of problems after an update that needed a restart of the device and so probably a new IP request to your router. No, can’t be the network……….

A bluetooth player is a much simpler device than a networked multiroom audio player. There’s much less to go wrong - especially on the network/wifi side of things: bluetooth does not do wifi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My Sonos Roam got ruined after 14.19 update, Airplay and Bluetooth cutting out, and rear button for Bluetooth not working properly. I don’t really understand why Sonos is blaming our network set ups in stead of  apologize and fix the software, a Wonderboom2 360 audio Waterproof  Bluetooth speaker plays more reliable than the Sonos Roam, incredible how a brand blames our networks in stead of fixing their products that just stop working without any apparent reason 

You have been complaining now for months about the problems concerning your Roam. You have blatantly discarded any advice from experienced users of this community, for you seem to think your network can not be part of the problem. As far as I can see you haven't contacted Sonos directly. Seems to me you are the one and only source of your problems.

You have been complaining now for months about the problems concerning your Roam. You have blatantly discarded any advice from experienced users of this community, for you seem to think your network can not be part of the problem. As far as I can see you haven't contacted Sonos directly. Seems to me you are the one and only source of your problems.

…and note that @Manu84 will almost always slip in a mention of the ‘Wonderboom 2’ speaker at some point in the conversation - it’s in every thread where he slags off the Roam. Everyone here in the community waits to see where he will mention it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@beynym  and @Ken_Griffiths, I’m so annoyed. I don’t understand why are you blaming me as a user, Really? Before you comment that I didn’t contact Sonos Support, I did contact Sonos support and they were so unhelpful, they keep insisting me that it’s a network problem when clearly the update ruined the device, How could it be a network problem if the Roam was working properly before installing the update and my speed tests were fine? I’m not guilty if my Roam speakers get faulty, this is the second unit that I have and no, I’m not the source of this problem. I’ve tried tu be nice but I already ran out of patience, and I can’t troubleshoot my network because we’re 6 members in my house and everyone use the network except my 90 years old grandmother. Well, I’ve read tons of posts here in the comunity about people having  issues with their Sonos gear and about the network  nothing seems to work. Excuse me so much, but I ran out of patience       

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I ran out of patience       

So do we.

@beynym  and @Ken_Griffiths, I’m so annoyed. I don’t understand why are you blaming me as a user, Really? Before you comment that I didn’t contact Sonos Support, I did contact Sonos support and they were so unhelpful, they keep insisting me that it’s a network problem when clearly the update ruined the device, How could it be a network problem if the Roam was working properly before installing the update and my speed tests were fine? I’m not guilty if my Roam speakers get faulty, this is the second unit that I have and no, I’m not the source of this problem. I’ve tried tu be nice but I already ran out of patience, and I can’t troubleshoot my network because we’re 6 members in my house and everyone use the network except my 90 years old grandmother. Well, I’ve read tons of posts here in the comunity about people having  issues with their Sonos gear and about the network  nothing seems to work. Excuse me so much, but I ran out of patience       

I thought you replaced the Roam with the Wonderboom?  Shouldn’t you be floating in a bath, and uhhh Wonderbooming?

How could it be a network problem if the Roam was working properly before installing the update and my speed tests were fine? 

The ‘speed tests’ are somewhat irrelevant to the network issues that have been mentioned alongside your posts. I actually don’t know why you keep mentioning the local download speed. No one else in the community here has raised that point as being a part of your issue.🤷‍♂️

I would simply heed the advice that Sonos Support and others have mentioned to you, and then take it from there. Many users will have installed the Sonos updates (including myself, family & friends) and our Roams are working fine - so it’s clearly not the Sonos updates. There would likely be thousands complaining online and here, if their Roam was not working due to a software/firmware update. You are clearly in a minority.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I don’t understand your point here:     Shouldn’t you be floating in a bath, and uhhh, I don’t even take my Wonderboom into Water, I let it in my sink’s table, not wher the water flows and no, I’m a casual  swimmer but   I’m not floating with the speaker, it’s only playing (Reliably) the music from my phone using Spotify,  Deezer or Apple Music, I only made a water test to the Wonderboom speaker but that’s it, it’s fine. I didn’t replace the Roam, firstly my Wonderboom 2 arrived to me as a Christmas present and I liked it so much,    and then  I bought the Roam in my birthday, I’m so amazed with the sound quality, but it has two issues, music cutting out with Airplay and Bluetooth, and  rear button not working properly. How can I fix it if my home is made of concrete and I can’t clear interference? And the Bluetooth control worked propperly before the update 

My kingdom for an ignore feature.

From our seats we cannot rule out mechanical issues with your switch.

However, from our seats we have helped people sort out network issues that have caused issues you are experiencing, but we need more data beyond “doesn’t work”.

Since you are emphatically stating that there cannot possibly be any network issues in your installation, I  don’t think that we can be much help. SONOS support has access to tools that can clearly indicate network problems. After SONOS support has determined that there are no network issues, then potential ROAM faults can be explored. Faults leave tracks in the diagnostics that SONOS uses.

The 3rd party product that you constantly mention is designed for a much simpler purpose and will not be impacted by network issues that can cripple a SONOS system. I can also imagine some operator errors that can unexpectedly expose ROAM to issues that cannot affect your 3rd party unit, but I’d need to mention that ‘n’ word again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@buzz. I understand your statement, it can be a network issue, but:1. I don’t know how to clear interference, if my home is made of concrete. 
2. It’s strange that after an update I can’t disconnect my Roam from Bluetooth using the rear button, it gets stuck in the solid blue light when the device should switch to Wifi mode, and when I want to pair it sometimes, not always, the light of the speaker  remains solid white.  Before the update it worked fine, so I don’t know what happened there. 
My Wonderboom speaker has nothing to do with my Sonos gear which only contains a single device, the Roam, I’m just comparing how reliable it works vs the Roam, it’s not any Sonos gear. Does it makes sense to you?       

@buzz. I understand your statement, it can be a network issue, but:1. I don’t know how to clear interference, if my home is made of concrete. 
2. It’s strange that after an update I can’t disconnect my Roam from Bluetooth using the rear button, it gets stuck in the solid blue light when the device should switch to Wifi mode, and when I want to pair it sometimes, not always, the light of the speaker  remains solid white.  Before the update it worked fine, so I don’t know what happened there. 
My Wonderboom speaker has nothing to do with my Sonos gear which only contains a single device, the Roam, I’m just comparing how reliable it works vs the Roam, it’s not any Sonos gear. Does it makes sense to you?       

You do not press the rear power button to disconnect a previously BT paired Roam from the connected mobile device, particularly when that device is close-by - if that’s what you’re doing, you are just merely setting it to seek nearby previously-paired devices. It will just end up connecting back to your mobile.

Please read the Bluetooth document given to you at least twice by myself and here it is again…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/pair-sonos-roam-with-bluetooth

Clearly you are not following the correct steps to disconnect your mobile from the speaker… the document link above explains precisely what you need to do.

As for your WiFi issue, concrete, or no concrete, ensure the Roam is set to use the 2.4Ghz WiFi band, rather than the 5Ghz band. Set the 2.4Ghz band to use a fixed non-overlapping channel (that’s either channel 1, 6 or 11) try each channel to see which one works best and then to reduce interference set that bands channel-width to 20Mhz only.

So there is something for you to go away and try… oh and read the information in the document link above, as I (still) suspect you are not operating the Roam multi-feature button controls correctly.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Ken_Griffiths 

Excuse me so much and I feel so sorry for everyone here in the comunity because the way I complained, but  seriously, I don’t want to discuss anymore, in my last thread,  @Sonos Roam, a very unreliable product, I posted a response following the Roam’s Bluetooth pairing  article that you’ve sent  exactly as it is, according to the steps, I shown and explained in detail   my Roam’s weird  behavior when performing the steps to pair/Unpair it using the rear button, if you don’t use it for Bluetooth pairing that’s up to you, it’s fine and I’m not blaming you, but you can’t tell me that I’m wrong when I followed the article exactly as it is, and specially when it used to work fine in previous updates, if I’m not supposed to use the rear button then I think I forgot to use the Roam, but the steps that come in   the article, are  the same steps I’ve  followed to pair and unpair the speaker using the rear button and they had worked perfectly for me until the update        

In the cited article pay attention to the System > Roam > Bluetooth > Idle Auto-Disconnect option. While this will not immediately disconnect ROAM’s Bluetooth, I think that it will help resolve some of your long term Bluetooth complaints. Otherwise ROAM holds the Bluetooth connection. This is the behavior that many, many users want -- a forever connection. They don’t want to repeatedly need to reconnect.

Personally, I rarely use Bluetooth, but I realize that it is very important to many users. I don’t recall exactly when, but I believe that the Bluetooth connection had not always been forever and this had been changed due to many requests that ROAM behave more like a traditional Bluetooth speaker. Perhaps it was the last update that you installed that changed this behavior for you. The Auto-Disconnect option establishes a middle ground.

In the future, you should make sure that any Bluetooth speaker you purchase has a separate ON/OFF button for Bluetooth. This will be inline with how you think that a Bluetooth speaker ‘should’ operate. But be prepared for vocal disagreements. Users have become very adept at causing a big ruckus when something does not function to their preference. The whole world is stupid and inept because it is obvious that it should work like … .

ROAM can keep track of multiple paired Bluetooth devices. If multiple Bluetooth devices are simultaneously online, which should ROAM play? One? Two? All?

My desktop computer does not include speakers and this was by design. I don’t want my computer playing music (that is SONOS’s job), however there are a few times, such as webinars, when audio is handy. For this I have USB headphones and Bluetooth headphones. Since the Bluetooth headphones can connect to two devices, I can get into a situation where my iPad and the computer will connect to and play through the headphones. My options are to disable the one of the Bluetooth transmitters or call up the headphone app and struggle with it. This is a struggle because the headphones are eager to connect with anything that had been previously paired.

---

Bluetooth issues are separate from any potential network issues that can cause other issues that you describe. We need more information about your network -- configuration, model numbers, wired, wireless, etc. Otherwise, we can only make generic suggestions that have helped many others. In some cases another user might know an obscure setting in model XYZ router that must be changed. It doesn’t take much network capability to fetch email or show web pages. SONOS requires a first class network support.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I don’t undeerstand about (Sonos requires a first class network support) The Roam cost me $4500   around  $250, so it isn’t any cheap. Do I have to buy an other router so it can work without issue or just reducing wireless interference? Like  a Spanish  saying “Lo barato sale caro” The Roam  compared with the Sonos Move is much  cheaper      

It’s likely that your ROAM it within its warranty period. If your network is perfect, as you claim, it should be easy to prove that ROAM has a hardware issue and should be serviced or replaced. This discussion must be taken up with SONOS support.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@buzz I don’t know if I have a propper network set up just for the Roam, but other devices such my iPhone and an Alexa 4th gen speaker work without hustle in my same network. I don’t know if I can put my Roam into an other channel or enter into my network settings to figure it out. How can Sonos support determine if it’s a network problem or a fault with the speaker? I’ve read many complains about this issues here in the comunity and it seems to me that the Roam is an unreliable product, but I don’t want to believe that as the Roam isn’t cheap at all and it’s a great sounding speaker with good quality materials. Well, as everyone here in this comunity keeps insisting us about reducing Wifi interference and networking steps to troubleshoot comun issues,   I really  want as many evidence as possible that indeed is a network problem, effective solutions that really work and not a software/Hardware fault, because if I know about a hardware fault with the unit that ruins the behavior  the speaker is going to be returned, and returned to never buy it again       

Submit a diagnostic, log the confirmation number and contact SONOS Support. Network issues leave tracks. It very easy to confirm network issues by examining the diagnostics. As we’ve been saying, network issues are at the root of almost all the symptoms you describe. Once you’ve proved that your network is indeed perfect. Then we can discuss more esoteric, much lower probability possibilities. There is no point fretting with 0.5% probabilities before eliminating the 95% probability.

We’re not eliminating the possibility that ROAM has has a fault. Mother Nature is never fair. You could have multiple issues. Nothing has been proven yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

My Wifi is not perfect because my house is made of concrete and clearly it’s a material that causes interference, but I don’t understand why the Sonos devices are more  susceptible to Wireless interference than therd party devices. So, being my first Sonos speaker,  I really bought my Sonos  Roam thinking it was a normal and pretty cool Wifi enabled Alexa smart Bluetooth waterproof   speaker talking about Wifi and wireless  setup requirements, it’s pretty great and I’m impressed how good it sounds being so small,   but I’ve never thought that a Sonos  speaker would require a specific network setup, It worked fine right out of the box, so I don’t really understand why it’s cutting out and which setup it requires, it can’t work with Sonos Net, it doesn’t hav any Ethernet port, and Wifi and Bluetooth are unstable so, I don’t really get it,  it should work flawlessly, and flawlessly means errors free