Sonos in a bathtub of water

• 30 November 2020
  • 3 replies

One of my speakers ended up (Sonos one) in a bathtub for less than a minute.  I hit it with the blow dryer. It seems to be fine, but should I soak it in rice? Any other advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I am not sure if rice will help but on the basis that it can’t harm, why not?

More important, do not apply electric power to it for a few days to let everything inside dry out fully.

PS: by soak, I suppose you mean in bone dry rice….

Seems to be fine, meaning you plugged it in and it’s working as normal?

I don’t know that rice is to going to be to helpful in this situation.  Most likely water has gotten in deeper than rice can pull out, I would think.  The hair dryer can help, but not sure it can get to all the places water can get too.  Although you void the warranty, it might be worth taking it a part a bit, just to expose more the insides to dry better.

I probably would wait several days before plugging it in again, unless you get better advice.  When you do, use a GFCI outlet just to be on the safer side.

I am not an expert on this though, so hopefully you get better advice.

More on rice from the internet:

Rice is most definitely not king

Dry, uncooked conventional rice was the worst of the seven options we tested. It absorbed the least water in 24 hours, losing out to silica gel, cat litter, couscous, instant oatmeal, classic oatmeal and instant rice.

More importantly, the sponge that we left in open air performed far better than any of the drying agents. It’s possible that the absorbent materials could have matched open air if we’d used a lot more. But it seems that leaving your phone on a shelf may be the best option.

The sponge referred to is a wet sponge, and the outcome was that the sponge left to dry in open air fared best!