Sonos Five setup

• 16 December 2020
  • 3 replies

New Sonos Fives (stereo pair) finally installed and wondering if I missed something in setup from app. 

Things went to plan until I had to push “the flashing green and white button”.  That light doesn’t have a visible button but thought all 3 icons are just touch sensitive so 10 presses on one speaker before unpacking the other for 10 more futile presses.  App shows Five image on 1 Setup screen but 2nd image on next screen (closeup of button) shows button not on a Five (different Sonos product?).  Retraced app instructions and went to website for same troubleshooting tips.  Chat was another waste as I’m following instruction and typing another response when chat closed due to inactivity ( 3 sentences typed).  Phone in support finally pulls back the veil by saying the button is on the back next to the power cord.  Viola!

Summary

• Phone support worked great.  
  • Still had to use wifes iPhone for setup as Android (Galaxy 10) wouldn’t connect.
  • Correct me if I missed something but App setup seems incorrect for location description and image for Sonos Five.
  • 2 hrs. wasted.

Poking around in message board plus above experience makes me wonder if redoing the houses old in wall speakers and systems is a better long term solution.  Might return these as ongoing technology changes could make them obsolete way before I’m ready to upgrade.

How common are connectivity issues?  Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Setup problems are rare.  No Sonos product I have ever owned (and I have owned most of them, possibly all of them) has had a button that flashed, or required one to push such a button.  i don’t have a Five but the very similar Play:5, and  that has a ‘connect’ button on the back (no light) like every Sonos speaker launched in the last few years.  Images of the Five suggest it is the same, as you have confirmed.

So I am baffled by your experience and have seen no similar reports on this fiorum.  Are you sure you were using the official Sonos app?

Thanks for your feedback. Five play/pause button flashes green, alternating green/white, and orange to indicate setup status along with a "beeping" sound. Sonos Inc. app definitely used. It's possible I misread app directions to push button "on back" when play/pause flashes alternating green/white.

Glad to hear continuing connection problems not experienced by you. Worried I'll have to "reboot" these like a cable box every week. 

Thanks for your feedback. Five play/pause button flashes green, alternating green/white, and orange to indicate setup status along with a "beeping" sound. Sonos Inc. app definitely used. It's possible I misread app directions to push button "on back" when play/pause flashes alternating green/white.

Glad to hear continuing connection problems not experienced by you. Worried I'll have to "reboot" these like a cable box every week. 

I think I have had to reboot twice in nine years.  Fear not - Sonos was a good choice.

Yes instructions may well comment on lights but ask to push button on back.