Skip to main content

I am trying to play music from a turntable as line-in to a Sonos Five, and have the music play through all my Sonos speakers in stereo mode.

I have a Sonos Five speaker in one room with a line-in turntable (Den).  In another room I have an ARC, SUB, 2 Sonos one SLs  set up as surround. (FAMILY).

In the Family room, the Sonos SL speakers will go into surround sound setting automatically when playing a movie, and switch to stereo speakers when streaming music.

However, if I group the room DEN with the room FAMILY, the Sonos SL speakers stay in surround sound setting even when playing music.

I am not able to directly add the Sonos Five speaker to the FAMILY home theater room.  And I am hoping that I don’t have to keep manually moving the Sonos SL speakers to other rooms for the purpose of using them as stereo speakers when playing the turntable.

Has anyone been able to overcome this issue?

I am trying to play music from a turntable as line-in to a Sonos Five, and have the music play through all my Sonos speakers in stereo mode.

I have a Sonos Five speaker in one room with a line-in turntable (Den).  In another room I have an ARC, SUB, 2 Sonos one SLs  set up as surround. (FAMILY).

In the Family room, the Sonos SL speakers will go into surround sound setting automatically when playing a movie, and switch to stereo speakers when streaming music.

However, if I group the room DEN with the room FAMILY, the Sonos SL speakers stay in surround sound setting even when playing music.

No they don’t.  At least they shouldn’t, and don’t on my system.

I am not able to directly add the Sonos Five speaker to the FAMILY home theater room.  And I am hoping that I don’t have to keep manually moving the Sonos SL speakers to other rooms for the purpose of using them as stereo speakers when playing the turntable.

Has anyone been able to overcome this issue?

I haven’t needed to.  When you group the speakers what happens if you start playing on the Den speaker then group the Arc (Family Room) to it?

In the settings for the Arc, do you have the surround settings set to FULL rather than AMBIENT for music sources?

Note:  I used Trueplay Tuning to balance the sound in each of the rooms.  

In the ARC settings, under Surround Audio, I have the surround setting Music Playback set to Full.  

I start playing music in the DEN, which is basically just the Sonos Five.  Then I add the FAMILY room.  The ARC and Sub sound fine.  The Sonos ONEs sound ‘Ambient’, like they are in surround sound mode.

If I first play music from the family room, then the Sonos One’s play in a similar volume to the rest of the speakers, and I can add the DEN, and the Five sounds fine.  

John, do I have to remove the surrounds from the Family Room every time to make this work.  Or I noticed there is a toggle switch under Surround Audio setting.  Do I need to toggle this off?

To your final question - No this should all happen automatically.

The surrounds have definitely been added to form a single room, not as part of a ‘room group’ named Family?  (Clutching at straws here.)

Yes.  In the ARC was set up in a room called Family.  Then I added the surrounds to that room.  Then I added the SUB.  I have removed and added the Sonos One’s back to that room to make sure I didn’t do some user error.  By the way, do you know why I can’t add the Sonos Five directly into that same room?  Logically, that mystifies me.  

By the way, do you know why I can’t add the Sonos Five directly into that same room?  Logically, that mystifies me.  

It’s entirely logical.  ‘Room’ is just a label for a speaker or a specified collection of speakers acting together, such as a stereo pair or a HT setup.  ‘Room’ defines  the granularity of control and settings available to the user, e.g. what you can play separate streams on, have separate volume control for, set EQ settings for.  It is the building block of the system, and if and when you want to play several speakers in sync you can group them.  If you could chuck any number or type of speaker into a ‘room’ where does all that control and order go?  It would be chaos, unworkable.  That way lies madness.

(Oh - and in most users’ setups the separate Sonos ‘rooms’ will correspond to physical rooms, although of course not always.)

I have no explanation for the issue you have and cannot reproduce it on my system.  Everything suggests you have set things up correctly and are using the system correctly.  So I suggest you run a system diagnostic while experiencing the issue (Settings, Support) and either post the confirmation number on here or call Sonos with it.

It would be useful to hear the outcome.

The reason you can’t add the Fives is that a surroundsound system is limited to 5 speakers. For example a sound bar, sub and two rear speakers - or two front speakers and a sub and two rear speakers.The more intensive processing for surroundsound causes a slight audio delay as related to the video resulting in lip sync issues. So the processing is limited to a five speaker group to prevent a longer delay or sound latency. You can add a lot more speakers to the room as long as that room does not include a surroundsound system.

The reason you can’t add the Fives is that a surroundsound system is limited to 5 speakers. For example a sound bar, sub and two rear speakers - or two front speakers and a sub and two rear speakers.The more intensive processing for surroundsound causes a slight audio delay as related to the video resulting in lip sync issues. So the processing is limited to a five speaker group to prevent a longer delay or sound latency. You can add a lot more speakers to the room as long as that room does not include a surroundsound system.

I am sorry, but this is largely incorrect or at best speculative.  There is no reason to believe that the limitation on what can be included in a Sonos HT setup is related to lip sync.  You cannot use two Sonos speakers at the front (if that is what you are suggesting).  You cannot “add a lot more speakers to the room as long as that room does not include a surroundsound system”.  What can belong in a single Sonos ‘room’ is tightly defined.  Outside of a HT system, the most you can have is three, and that must be a stereo pair and Sub, 

Yes.  In the ARC was set up in a room called Family.  Then I added the surrounds to that room.  Then I added the SUB.  I have removed and added the Sonos One’s back to that room to make sure I didn’t do some user error.  By the way, do you know why I can’t add the Sonos Five directly into that same room?  Logically, that mystifies me.  

Whist you are actually playing the line-in audio to the grouped Family room, what do you hear when toggling between ‘Ambient’ and ‘Full’ in the Family room surround settings… Do you hear any audio difference at all? (See attached).

I’ve just tested this here too and like @John B, the setup here is working okay with the audio to our HT/Surrounds.

The info I paraphrased without attribution was from a Sonos tech who was apparently weary of answering this question. By “a lot more speakers” I was lazily referring to the maximum number of speakers in a Sonos network. Sorry I forget if it’s 16 or 32 or 128. :vulcan_tone1: