Skip to main content

I don’t understand how SONOS can advertise its products within the category of Home Sound Systems if they won’t work with range extenders...one basically has to live in a tiny apartment for these speakers to work. Completely useless and a huge waste of money I fully regret having bought 4 speakers. 

That’s only one of the many problems I have: constant “unable to connect to SONOS device, try again later”, rooms appearing and disappearing, sigh...TERRIBLE in all ways. My connection is fully stable and these speakers are simply terrible - good sound, terrible connectivity. I cannot be connecting them to the router with a cable every time they stop working cause I’d need to be doing that every single day.

As said before, these are speakers for a tiny studio apartment SONOS is not good for a house with several floors. A mere scam. 

I understand your frustration, but virtually nothing in your post is correct.  There are users operating systems of 20+ speakers successfully.  I have a dozen devices in a 7-zone system that is rock solid.

If you are interested in a solution, then by all means engage with us.  

If a company needs to invest so much money as SONOS does in community management because everybody has lots of problems, then I don’t think I can be that wrong. 

Why do I have to spend my days trying to find solutions to something that is clearly a flawed product?

I have no idea what you mean by 7 zones...if a toilet next to a bedroom is for you 2 zones...then fine. I live in Belgium in a traditional Belgian house with 5 small floors and I can tell you that these speakers do not work. In any case, the fact that range extenders don’t work with SONOS that makes the whole solution finding completely futile. 

I’m interested in selling them instead, not in a solution that doesn’t exist. Should Bose speakers work better than these? 

I’m glad your system is rock solid, I simply feel like throwing a solid rock at them every time I try to make them play music which is the sole purpose they have or at least should have.

I wish you well

I don’t understand how SONOS can advertise its products within the category of Home Sound Systems if they won’t work with range extenders...one basically has to live in a tiny apartment for these speakers to work. Completely useless and a huge waste of money I fully regret having bought 4 speakers.

I have my Sonos devices working with WiFi access points, but in any event the system can be run on SonosNet with their spanning tree protocol internal wireless signal. I just set my access points to use the same SSID/Credentials, channels and channel width (20MHz) and all works fine in our Home.

That’s only one of the many problems I have: constant “unable to connect to SONOS device, try again later”, rooms appearing and disappearing, sigh...TERRIBLE in all ways. My connection is fully stable and these speakers are simply terrible - good sound, terrible connectivity. I cannot be connecting them to the router with a cable every time they stop working cause I’d need to be doing that every single day.

Your WiFi might well be stable for single device ‘point to point’ internet access but that’s not the same for multiple devices communicating with each other within your network environment - I suspect your setup is having issues with SSDP (the upnp protocol) discovery. 

As said before, these are speakers for a tiny studio apartment SONOS is not good for a house with several floors. A mere scam. 

The issue is ‘most likely’ your network setup here and if you’re unclear how to resolve the issues you might be best to run your system on SonosNet and keep the setup simple by setting up the access points to mirror your main router settings.

Do you want help from this community or are you just throwing in a grenade? We are fellow customers and try and share advice and fixes.  Sonos staff do also monitor and contribute.

I had issues with range extenders, not just with Sonos and instead went for a homeplug solution, but stick to a speed lower than 1200.  Whilst not recommended by Sonos they worked well enough, although I had to re-boot all speakers after any Sonos update.  I eventually replaced them with an Ethernet cable but they worked well for a couple of years.  Worth considering for whatever system you decide upon.

another option is to use and old router and set it up as another access point.  this will extend the range of your wi-fi without compromising the speed.

If a company needs to invest so much money as SONOS does in community management because everybody has lots of problems, then I don’t think I can be that wrong. 

This is the first time I’ve heard such a theory.  Do you seek about products that don’t have a user community, since user communities are a sign of products with problems?

That's s strange problem mate. I just upgraded to to link wa850re. I think this is a 2 years old product and now I can use my sonos play 5 anywhere in the house. My ssid on extender is different. Sonos can connect to both SSID. I can connect on base or extended network. Although I don't know if sonos is on base or extended network. 

My 2 cents From india