Sonos cuts out and unable to connect

• 4 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

Just recently my Sonos amp (older model), stopped working. One day I went to use air and it wouldn’t sync with my iPhone. I repaired them and it worked - only for about 5mins and then cut out again. It said that Sonos was unable to connect with iPhone. It happened a few times now. Can anyone tell me why? Is it my amp playing up? A particular setting not working?

Thanks!

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Wheatys09.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Sonos’ behavior is odd especially if it worked seamlessly in the past and all of a sudden it won’t. Let me help you out.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on and for me to know how to proceed.

• Has this issue ever occurred in the past?
  • Were there any changes made prior to it was still working and the moment the issue occurred? router change, additional router or wifi booster or extender? 
  • Does the issue happen to other mobile controllers with the Sonos app installed?
  • What light behavior does the Sonos indicate at the time the issue is re-occurring?
  • What is the exact error message displayed on the Sonos App on your mobile phone?
  • What Sonos devices you have? 
  • What music services are we trying to play the songs from?
  • Do we have the same issue regardless of the music service?
  • Can we submit a diagnostic so we can check what is going on?

The more information you provide, the more we can paint the picture. Please take note of the diagnostic’s confirmation number and post it here once available. Here in the community, everybody is welcome.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

To answer your questions:-

• No, it hasn’t happened before. Just recently 
  • No changes to any equipment, router or the wifi.
  • Yes, it happens on my iPhone and on my iPad. It won’t connect to either.
  • The light is a solid white. I’ve reset it and had it blinking orange to re-connect it but it says it can’t locate it.
  • The error message reads “Unable to connect to Sonos. “Click” Learn more”
  • It’s a Sonos Connect:amp. I would say its at least 5-6 years old.
  • I just mainly listen to Spotify or stream the radio.
  • I can’t even get to choose the radio service as it won’t acknowledge the device on my devices.
  • My diagnostic confirmation number is 76092185.

Hope this info can help out. As I previously said, it was working fine, I hadn’t used it for a few weeks and went to turn it on. Just kept saying that it was unable to connect. Tried resetting it and it would work sometimes, but only for about 5mins before cutting out and the same error message appears.

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Wheatys09JXwD_CWNAFRhJsMzn14NOGtgW2xzaXb9l1VSiyxzQd8Vdt7tJ9OX36KYTVVUvg3Pk7MZJmVstyfsWfefriDoeiPh2hLWZIaJbt3V1qjeGaiYMTc-Qh7xArCu_rlxL6WZZZ3OBBd-.

Thanks for the immediate response and update.

Yes indeed, these pieces of information helped a lot. However since the Sonos Connect Amp was factory reset, The diagnostic shows no information as there is not associated Sonos device on the Sonos App. Allow me to recommend the following guide.

• Here is how to properly perform a factory reset on your Sonos Connect Amp.

• Unplug your Connect Amp from Power.

• While the Connect Amp is unplugged, press and hold the play/pause button.

• While the play/pause button is pressed, plug the Sonos Connect Amp into the power outlet.

• Wait for a green light before letting go of the play/pause button.

• Once we have a green light on the Connect Amp, Open the Sonos App.

• Tap on “Fix it” located at the top of the app where it says “cannot connect to Sonos Fix it”.

• Look and tap for the option “reset app”.

• Once the app is reset, using your Sonos account user name and password, re-open the Sonos App and choose set up a new Sonos system and follow the prompts.

These steps should get you back up and running. However, just to set your expectation, once a Sonos device is factory reset, all information stored on the device will be deleted including but not limited to WiFi name, all music services, My Sonos Playlist, Sonos Account,, etc.

I hope this helps.

Please keep me posted. Let me know if you run into any trouble. I’ll be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

Tried what you suggested. It worked, but again only for a few minutes.

What I’ve found is that my device will acknowledge the Sonos and then cut out and then won’t recognise it. Now, I’ve found that if I switch the data lead from one port to another on the back of the amp, it will work again….but only for a few minutes before cutting out. So basically it’s losing it’s wifi signal to the phone/iPad from the Sonos amp.

We have no other internet or wifi issues with any other device in the house.

Do you think that my connect:amp is now faulty? Or is there something else that could be wrong with it?

Thanks

Can anyone help?

As much as I don’t want to, I’m about to throw my amp onto the road! Have no music around the house and it’s driving me mad!!

If it’s appearing, then disappearing, that does suggest either wifi interference, or some other network issue. Beyond the data in that FAQ, I’d try a simple network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Only after the router comes back up should you plug the Sonos devices back in. 

It’s always possible that a piece of electronics can fail, in your specific case, it could potentially be heat related, since you say it works for a bit, then stops. It’s unfortunate, but any particular symptom can have a variety of potential solutions, since the same thing can be caused by several different things. If the network refresh above doesn’t help, I would call in to Sonos directly with that diagnostic number. When you’re talking to someone on the phone, there tends to be many more options for them to assist you than just posting a text message here in these forums.