Skip to main content

Diagnostic:1299356868

Have multiple Sonos products - 2 Connects, 4 Connect Amps, Play 3 and Five. The Connects and Connect Amps are connected via Ethernet.

One of the Connects (Family Room) keeps cutting in and out. It is connected to an AV Receiver for one of our home theaters (BluRay, Apple TV, Sonos). I’ve reset the modem, router and Sonos systems sequentially with no fix, at least not for long.

This happens playing any media via Sonos. Other rooms (including a duplicate setup in the basement den) work without issues. This is the only product that seems to have issues.

Hi @MrSwiss 

Your Connect is feeling it’s age a little. 

These workarounds may help in improving the performance, but may not fully resolve the problem:

1. Check if the Sonos product is wired to the network and confirm only one Ethernet cable is connected to it. Disconnecting additional Ethernet connections from the Sonos product will improve performance.

2. Reduce the load on the player by turning off Crossfade and Shuffle.

3. If the system is in SonosNet and the affected component is the root bridge, wire a different Sonos product to network and ensure it's the first wired device.

4. If the affected product is the Group Coordinator, choose a different Room as the Group Coordinator to see if performance improves.

In reference to point 1 and your system in particular, it does look like you could reduce the load on the Connect a little by connecting Living Room, Master Suite and Roof Deck to the network via a network switch, rather than by using Family Room’s spare ethernet port.

As for point 3, your Family Room Connect is the root bridge (the device that manages the SonosNet mesh). This is determined by alphabetical sorting of your system’s serial numbers, so is not too easy to change. You could try unplugging Family Room from ethernet altogether. If this does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance in changing the root bridge, but please note that it’s possible this issue cannot be resolved without replacing the Connect - our team will let you know what your replacement options are (likely a 30% discount on a Port).

I hope this helps.