Question

Sonos Boost with Orbi mesh

• 17 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I am using Sonos Boost to connect my Sonos speakers.  The Boost is hardwired to the wifi router.  I want to replace my AC1200 router with a Netgear Orbi AC3000 mesh router to get better wifi connectivity throughout the house.  

But I’m reading a lot about incompatibility issues.  Before I buy the Orbi, I want to make sure I won’t have the same problems I used to have when I used a wifi extender (got rid of it due to the issues).  If I connect the Boost to the ethernet port on the Orbi, will I still need to mess with manual configuration?

Is there another wifi mesh router that Sonos recommends?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mo Vancouver.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to make sure first that there would be no compatibility issues prior to upgrading to the Orbi Mesh system. Let me help you with that.

I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference. Here are some guides to better understand and know what and how to fix this issue.

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic on this community that discusses multiple routers or mesh system. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks for the quick response.

If the Sonos Boost is hardwired to the new Orbi mesh router, would the entire Sonos ecosystem be on an entirely different mesh network automatically?  I’m thinking just this one hardwiring step should eliminate all conflicts?  If not, what would you say is next most important thing to do when setting things up?

Also, has Sonos had better luck with a particular mesh router (Orbi vs. Google Nest vs. Amazon Eero vs. others)?  I suppose some manufacturers have default settings that just work better with Sonos.

Thanks.

Following up…  I’m surprised there is no seamless solution for people using Sonos in large homes.  Large home pretty much require mesh networks, and Sonos products seem to conflict with mesh networks.  There has to be a “standard” solution that people can use without engaging network geeks to come and fiddle with IP addresses etc.  What am I missing here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mo Vancouver.

Thanks for the immediate response and feedback. My apologies for the late response. 

If the Sonos Boost is hardwired to the new Orbi mesh router, would the entire Sonos ecosystem be on an entirely different mesh network automatically? Yes except for the Sonos Move as it does not have the capabilities of connecting to the Sonos Mesh system. The Sonos mesh system is generated once a Sonos device is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

I’m thinking just this one hardwiring step should eliminate all conflicts?  If not, what would you say is next most important thing to do when setting things up? Having a single router with no Wifi extender/accesspoints/ mesh system/Wifi boosters. yes the step should eliminate all conflicts but not Wireless interference created by other wireless capable devices. The response I posted above would be the solution for having morethan 1 router or mesh system like eero or google mesh.

Also, has Sonos had better luck with a particular mesh router (Orbi vs. Google Nest vs. Amazon Eero vs. others)?  I suppose some manufacturers have default settings that just work better with Sonos. The topic I shared above are key imporant factors to consider when you prefer to use a mesh system.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,