Question

Sonos Boost drop out

• 11 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Seriously getting over this product. Over 2 years of constant drop outs and skipped songs. I have purchased a boost, fixed the problem for a week and now the system was worse then before! Seriously how do I fix this or have I wasted over $1000 on useless products.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

A Sonos BOOST is not a silver bullet to fix issues with either wifi interference or a duplicate IP address issue. All the BOOST does is remove the data from your local WiFi signal and put it on a dedicated WiFi signal that the BOOST creates.

I’d recommend reading the FAQ I linked. There are several potential solutions presented, if your system is experiencing some sort of interference.

Another thing to try is a simple refresh of your network, by unplugging all Sonos devices, including the BOOST, from power. While they are unplugged, check your router for updates and apply them, and then reboot the router. Only when the router has recovered should you plug the Sonos devices back in, starting with the BOOST.

For what it’s worth, if the latter ‘fix’ takes care of the issue, you could avoid having it happen again by assigning reserved IP addresses for all your network devices in your router’s DHCP table, instructions on how to do so would be in the router’s manual. 

However, if this issue continues, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing a dropout, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.