Answered

Sonos Beam and Ones connection issue with Apple Airport Express

• 10 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Beam and two Sonos Ones, connected wirelessly through my 2nd Generation Apple Airport Express with the latest firmware installed.

This setup has worked just fine until recently, when I upgraded to Sonos S2 and got a new cable modem. Now, when I launch the S2 app on iOS 14, it says that I’m “Unable to connect to Sonos” and Alexa and Spotify (the only two services I’ve connected to Sonos through the app) doesn’t work. I have enabled access to the “Local Network” under the iOS 14 Privacy settings, and I’ve also completely reset my Sonos speakers to factory settings to no avail.

The only thing that seems to temporarily work, is rebooting my Airport Express router. When I do that, I can access everything just fine through the Sonos S2 app, and can use Alexa and stream Spotify with no issues. But after a variable amount of time, it just stops working.

I have no clue what the issue is, but has anyone else come across this/found a fix for it?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 January 2021, 23:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Perhaps see if switching off Apples new security feature called ‘private address’ resolves your issue...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227

Thank you for the tip, but I tried that, and it did not work. I do not think the issue is with iOS, but with the Sonos Beam making a connection with the Airport Express. Yet, in the Airport Utility, my Airport Express is reporting an “Excellent” connection with the Beam hardware. So not sure what is going on here.

That’s okay… Have you perhaps considered that it ‘might’ be intermittent wireless interference? 

Have you thought about trying a different ‘fixed’ 2.4Ghz WiFi channel on the Airport Express, just to see if that makes any difference? Maybe try a non-overlapping channel like 1, 6 or 11 to see if any of those may hold the wireless connection any better.

Ken, that seemed to have worked ... so far.

Not sure how or why, since I ran a scan before I changed it and the channel my 2.4Ghz band was on was not utilized by anyone close.

So very strange, but I will continue to monitor.