Skip to main content

I am new to Sonos.  I run a vpn on my iphone all the time. However, after setting up my new speaker (Arc Soundbar) and the app, I realize that the app does not work while the vpn is active on my phone. 

I have numerous devices on my home LAN that have an app that can talk to them while the vpn is on.  It is a serious security concern (and major pain) to turn off the vpn every time I want to use the Sonos app.

Is there a solution to this? Does Sonos plan to resolve? 

In an age when privacy and security are a major issue, it strikes me as backwards that a leader in this space still has technology that has not adopted to the use of the various vpn services out there.  

Any guidance is welcome.  

Thank you

John

A VPN is designed to block all outside connections between the individual device and the VPN ‘server’. Sonos is, by it’s very nature, an outside connection to your iPhone. 

Many VPNs have set up special use cases for Sonos users, you may want to check with the company who’s VPN you’re using. They may have an easy setup change for you to apply. 

And an implication of what Bruce has correctly said, if Sonos could ‘fix’ this then you would need to ask serious questions about the VPN. 

Look for an option called “split tunneling” in your VPN. This allows local network access to be direct, and internet access to go through your VPN.

If your VPN lacks this option then you will need to disable it to use Sonos. Its a VPN and it is doing its job.

So this happened to me an hour plus ago. We’re getting ready to go on holiday to South Korea and I wanted to get vpn for my A fire stick to be able to watch anything from the stick while in Korea. So I installed it on my iPhone/iPad as well. And while watching football this morning I decided to play some music. I couldn’t get anything on my Sonos app. But the tv sounds were coming through my PlayBase/Five surrounds and Sub. It took me half an hour to figure it out. Turned off the vpn’s to my phone and pad. So now what? I have vpn on my phone and cannot turn it on because I love my Sonos? I guess I can always cancel the vpn service after I get home from holiday? 

So this happened to me an hour plus ago. We’re getting ready to go on holiday to South Korea and I wanted to get vpn for my A fire stick to be able to watch anything from the stick while in Korea. So I installed it on my iPhone/iPad as well. And while watching football this morning I decided to play some music. I couldn’t get anything on my Sonos app. But the tv sounds were coming through my PlayBase/Five surrounds and Sub. It took me half an hour to figure it out. Turned off the vpn’s to my phone and pad. So now what? I have vpn on my phone and cannot turn it on because I love my Sonos? I guess I can always cancel the vpn service after I get home from holiday? 

You are taking your Sonos on vacation with you? Props Sir.

Anyway, this discussion is about corp VPNs who job is to protect the phone from the network. Sounds like you have a geo-fencing dogde-ing VPN, which work differently, their job is to pretend to be in a different location, they usually don’t give a crap about protecting your phone from your network, though yours sounds like it does.

Just disable it when using the Sonos app, re-enable when you are finished with the app. The Sonos devices themselves don’t need VPNs.

Nope. Sonos is staying home. But my stick is going on holiday with me. I won’t even take the heavy Move with me. I’m not sure what’s geo fencing done vpn. I got xpressvpn for my stick. I’m new to vpn’s. Virgin. So your saying I don’t need vpn on my iPhone and iPad? It’s turned off now. I’d rather listen to my Sonos over vpn on the phone. Maybe I should delete the vpn app off the phone?

Nope. Sonos is staying home. But my stick is going on holiday with me. I won’t even take the heavy Move with me. I’m not sure what’s geo fencing done vpn. I got xpressvpn for my stick. I’m new to vpn’s. Virgin. So your saying I don’t need vpn on my iPhone and iPad? It’s turned off now. I’d rather listen to my Sonos over vpn on the phone. Maybe I should delete the vpn app off the phone?

No idea, on my iPhone I can just turn my VPN on or off at will. No need to uninstall anything. Remember the Sonos app is just a Remote, does not need to be running to play music, just to start it.