Sonos app can't see speakers all of a sudden

• 24 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Today (as usual) I started up my Spotify on my Mac and it could only see one out of three Sonos speakers. So I fired up the Sonos app and it can’t see any of them. I restarted the speaker (“office”) in question, rebooted my Mac twice, restarted the router, no luck. 

So then I tried my iPhone, same story. But it did get an update to iOS 14.2 last night. So I went to the Sonos support site and saw that I had to change a privacy setting, which I did and that solved the problem on my iPhone. But not my Mac. 

Does anyone have an idea of why my Mac/Sonos can’t see the speakers? The error message is “Sorry, we can’t connect to Sonos. 

BTW, Spotify can see one of the three speakers. If I go into Spotify on my iPhone and select my office speaker, and then go back to Spotify on my mac, it is now listed there. Weird. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As a first suggestion assign all Sonos a static/reserved IP address from your router’s DHCP page. Power down all Sonos. Reboot router and controller. Power up any wired Sonos first then the rest, do them one at a time.

If after the reboot things are still wrong submit a diagnostic and post the number here for Sonos staff to look at.

Badge +1

Thanks. The speakers are working now so I’m reluctant to touch anything… but when the problem comes back I’ll try the static IP idea. I’ve never assigned static IPs before, so I hope it’s not too complicated. 

(When I say the “speakers are working,” I mean that I can functionally use them from within Spotify. They are still invisible from within the Sonos app.)