Question

Sonos:AMP temperature hitting 140 degrees!?!?

• 30 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I just opened my cabinet and my Sonos AMP’s are HOT… I mean REALLY hot. 

I just measured with a meat thermometer and the middle unit on a 3 stack of Amp’s was over 140 degrees.

It seems crazy hot for electronics and a long-term fire risk. 

I moved the Amp’s to three stacks of two each to eliminate a middle unit, but is there something else I should be doing??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @DKNash.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

This is really alarming, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more.

And turn off the Amp for the meantime until your able to get a hold of the phone support.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How warm is the air in the cabinet? If you don’t have enough air flow your gear can easily get too hot.

Adding a small 12 volt fan, one with a speed control sensor for lowest noise, can move enough air to keep your gear cool. Usually you can just cut a small circle out of the cabinet back and mount the fan over it. Incoming air can usually come in around the doors and from any other openings.

An example with a remote temp sensor: https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-Temperature-Controlled-intelligent-Configuration/dp/B0037AQLLM/ref=sr_1_16

Userlevel 1

Thanks @STN15 I just found a cutout someone hide with an electrical box. I ordered a fan that arrives tomorrow that should fit, and am going to retest temps with a closed cabinet after I install the fan. Until then I left the door open which brought the temps back down.

Thanks!