Answered

Sonos Amp in wired mode WM0 reported as wireless in EERO App

• 20 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

First let me say everything is working.

I had two Sonos Amps and a Sonos Sub connected to Wifi and setup as front and rear TV speakers. All connected wirelessly.

Now, I just connected the two Sonos Amps to each other with an ethernet cord and then a single ethernet cord from Amp to an ethernet switch which is connected to eero router. Sonos “About My System” shows WM:0 for both Amps as well as the Sonos Sub. Mind you the Sub has no ethernet cable connected to it. Everything works. I know, I consider myself lucky. :)

My curosity comes from how Sonos is reporting the WM:0 and how it is reported in the eero app. It shows as a wireless connection, and also on the details page shows the “Sonos” wifi network. Kind of cool! (Screenshots below)

So my questions are…

why don’t the Sonos speakers show up as wired?

Is there a way to confirm the wired setup beyond the “WM:0”?

Should disable wifi in each of the Amps? (not really sure why this setting even exists...)

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by ratty 20 December 2020, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

To be sure the two Sonos Amps cannot connect to your eero WiFi goto "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” in the Sonos App and reset/remove your WiFi credentials from the App - that’s your best option. I would personally not disable the WiFi on either amp, it’s really on ever necessary to consider doing that if you are having network issues and that’s clearly not the case with your setup.

@TimsTelegram Firstly do NOT disable the “WiFi” on the Sonos units. It does no such thing; it disables the connection to SonosNet (and to 5GHz home theatre satellites). This would break the link to your wireless Sub.

As for how everything is connecting, WM:0 means wired or SonosNet wireless (or HT satellites in a SonosNet setup) so everything is as it should be.

I don’t fully understand the Eero display but it looks as if it’s simply saying the Sonos units are connected (wired) to the primary node ‘Office’.

Everything works. I know, I consider myself lucky. :)

You, and the majority of the customers, otherwise this board would be flooded with complaints.