Sonos amp: How to add an input to accommodate both a CD player and a Project T1 turntable

• 12 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Hi, all!

This very happy -- but recently frustrated -- Sonos user could use your help.

My seemingly simple question: How can I effectively add an input for another device to my Sonos amp?

My Sonos amp now talks to my TV, a CD player, a pair of wired speakers, and a handful of wireless Sonos 5s throughout the house. This set-up allowed us to preserve beloved old-school elements (speakers and CDs) while letting us listen to music throughout the house without spidering wires everywhere --- and it works beautifully!

Then we decided to add a turntable to the mix --- and that’s where things got sorta complicated.

We bought a Pro-Ject T1 SB (the kind with a pre-amp). Like a dummy, I assumed we could just plug it into the Sonos amp, just like our CD player. But there isn’t another in-line port to accommodate it. Bummer!

Other than occasionally swapping the input RCA cables from the CD player to the turntable and visa versa (a clunky solution, but not the end of the world), does anyone have a suggestion for a kind of switch that I could plug into the Sonos amp that would effectively add another input?   

I found this device -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HV6YRXR?ref=emc_p_m_5_i_atc -- from a company called Prozor. It looked like it would serve the purpose just fine. However, when I called Sonos to confirm, they said they had never tested their amp with a third-party switching device. So they sorta punted.

Any trusted solutions are very welcome --- and huge hanks for reading!

Cheers,

Brett

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Yea, Sonos doesn’t have the ability to rest every device out there that could be attached…there is both too many, and giving ‘official’ approval could potentially be difficult. Imagine if the original device provided to them was one thing, but was sold to the public was actually something different. Some people would want to ‘blame’ Sonos for approving it.

I, too, haven’t tested all devices out there, but in general, what you’re looking for is a fairly simple RCA switch. You could easily go the more expensive route and get a receiver to do that for the Sonos line in, but I’d stick with the much less expensive option. 

Thanks, Bruce! So given that the Prozar switch is only $20, you think I should give that a shot? And I don’t think I have to worry about damaging my amp, etc.? (The Sonos tech didn’t seem terribly concerned about that.) Many thanks again!! -- Brett

The challenge with the device you linked is that it is backwards, with one input, and two outputs. You’re looking for two inputs (the CD player and the turntable) to a single output (the Sonos line in). Look for a more simple RCA switch, two or more device inputs, and a single output. 

Ah! I thought that, too, but then i looked at more of the pictures, and it looked like it operated the other way, too? (I’m not so tech-y with this stuff, so all guidance appreciated!)

Heh. I looked at it for 3 seconds, and keyed on the word ‘output. Let me go look closer at that one, and see if I can either see if it will work, or suggest something (untested) different.

Ok, not wild about the labeling, but if the Amazon description is correct, that should be fine.

Thanks, Bruce!

If all i need, as you say, is a switch with two or more inputs and one output, then i guess i’m willing to a buy a decent quality switch (maybe $100 vs $20), but not go all the way and shell out for a new receiver, which seems like overkill.

I found this one, but have no idea if its better or not. It’s more expensive, tho:

Rolls SS412 Passive Analog Stereo Audio Source Selector

Thanks again!! - B

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The ultimate Sonos solution would be adding a Port. Less expensive would be an Era 100 with the Sonos USB-C adapter.

Agreed, but a new Sonos device is substantially more expensive than adding a simple RCA switch. 

Thanks again, folks!

To Bruce’s point, cost matters. But if I’m willing to spend, say, $100 for a really nice switch --- as opposed to hundreds more for a Port or even an additional third-party receiver --- shouldn’t that be just fine?

Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For your use I’d really go with a simple switch, no volume control, mute button or other extras.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Stereo-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B085W1PPHL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Bi-Directional-Stereo-Splitter-Selector/dp/B09PYKVZX2/ref=sr_1_6

a bit ugly  https://www.amazon.com/JINGFENG-Switcher-Distortion-Switching-Headphones/dp/B0CKLJTM17/ref=sr_1_16

Thank you, Stanley! I just ordered the first one on your list. Looked right to me.

Really appreciate everyone’s help! Will let you know how everything worked out.

Cheers!

Brett

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Brett-in-Red-Hook 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I hope you’ve found the answer you were looking for, but just in case you don’t mind in which room your turntable (or CD player) will be located, you could connect either to one of your Play:5s. And a third source to the other, if you wanted.

I hope this helps.