Skip to main content

So my Amp has been working fine and as usual until today where it was not showing up on my Spotify at all and on the Sonos app just showed up greyed out as disconnected.

I have tried every troubleshoot I've seen I factory reset the Amp and it removed from my system and I’ve tried to reconnect it but every time it gets to the connecting to WIFI bit it just says unable to connect to WIFI check password or router.

Nothing I do has resolved it I rebooted my router double checked the password and everything but it just won’t reconnect which is just bizarre to me because I have no idea why it would randomly disconnect and then not be able to reconnect. My Sonos one is working fine and as normal it is just the Amp that refuses to connect.

It has occasionally dropped out in the past but this is different I’ve always been able to sort it fairly quickly before or a factory reset always does the trick but this just does not seem to be resolvable to me. 

Does anyone have any ways to resolve this? 

My only explanation is there was a software update that somehow made it unable to connect to my WIFI. 

Would appreciate any help as this is really annoying me as for the cost of the Amp it really should not be having these dumb issues it already has enough general connectivity issues as it is but this is just ridiculous.

Maybe the Amps WiFi adapter is having an issue connecting to your router WiFi. For setup you need a compatible mobile controller device and the WiFi needs to be 802.11b/g/n compatible, ideally using security mode WPA2 AES. See these support links for the requirements:

Also go onto see what happens when you wire the Amp direct to your router during setup and just see what happens when you uncable it, post setup.

Oh and don’t forget to check for any Sonos updates to your Sonos App prior to device-setup.

Please don’t perform any further factory resets. 

For some reason it just decided to start working again which in itself is dumb because why was it not connecting before. I really don't understand why the amp is like this with it's connectivity. 

Out of curiosity is factory resetting bad for the amp? 

Factory resetting is a general bad thing. It deletes all the error codes stored on the device, which makes it a lot harder for Sonos support to figure out what is going on. It resets the unit to, well, factory release condition, which often hides or delays some of the issues that might affect it.

Is it bad for the unit? Not really, but it’s bad for fixing the problems that may be plaguing the unit…and just gets in the way. Generally, we point to only a factory reset when Sonos says to do it…which should be fairly rare. 

Ahhhh okay makes sense, though I have no clue how I could've fixed the issue without doing it unless it randomly fixed itself after a few days of not working for whatever reason.

Thanks for providing input though. 

Networks change, often just to spite us, or at least it seems that way…. ;)

Factory Reset destroys diagnostic data that may have been useful to diagnose the issue. If you do a really good job of Factory Resetting everything, this will trash your music service registrations and SONOS Playlists too. It creates a lot of unnecessary work.

I’m suspecting a hardware issue with AMP, but this has not yet been proven. Diagnostic data available to SONOS staff helps to diagnose this. Unfortunately, the Factory Reset has destroyed some of the history.

Using an ethernet cable connection from the router to your Amp might be the best solution.  I’ve had issues with my Connect and using a wired ethernet connection seems to have solved all the disconnect problems.